How To Treat This
The easiest way to treat this is to stop using the product you believe is causing the irritation. If its a new product, identifying it may be easy. If symptoms go away when you stop using it, you know the culprit.
If your contraception or a condom is the source of the irritation, talk with your doctor about alternatives. Some condoms are made for people with sensitive skin. They may be better for your partner to use during intercourse. Extra water-soluble lubricant might be needed.
In addition to burning, you may experience:
- a thin white or gray discharge
- a fish-like odor, especially after sex
Urinary Tract Infections And Yeast Infections
The symptoms of a urinary tract infection are easy to distinguish from a yeast infection, but they do affect similar systems and can often occur together. Antibiotics can sometimes cause the natural, healthy bacteria in your body to die, which weakens your defenses against other microbes. The result is often a yeast infection.
Yeast infections cause an itching or burning sensation in the vaginal or penile tissue. This may be coupled with discharge or a foul smell. When coupled with the symptoms of a urinary tract infection, a yeast infection can be unbearable.
Common Symptoms In Men
Men can get yeast infections too. They can happen when thereâs an overgrowth of fungus on the skin. This can happen if a man has sex with a female partner who has a vaginal yeast infection. Itâs more common in men who arenât circumcised. The symptoms include:
- Itching, burning, or redness on the
- A thick, white substance in the skin folds of the , and moistness
Read Also: 5 Day Z Pack For Sinus Infection
Should You See A Doctor
Both UTIs and yeast infections should be reviewed and diagnosed by your doctor to prevent them from getting worse. UTIs that are untreated could lead to a more serious kidney infection. Yeast infections may also be something more serious, or the symptoms may actually be from another condition, such as a sexually transmitted infection.
Symptoms Of A Yeast Infection
The common symptoms of a yeast infection include:
- Vaginal itching and discomfort
Though a yeast infection can be uncomfortable, once treated, symptom relief is almost immediate.
STDs that are commonly mistaken for yeast infections include:
- Trichomoniasis. Known as trich, this STD also has the same symptoms of a yeast infection, but a more distinct vaginal discharge with a strong odor. Its caused by a parasite, transmitted during intercourse. Men who carry the parasite often show no symptoms and may not know they are infected. Women will normally show symptoms within 5 to 28 days and require treatment with antibiotics.
Recommended Reading: I Ve Had A Sinus Infection For 2 Months
In Case You Need A Refresher These Are The Symptoms Of A Yeast Infection
Yeast infection symptoms can range in severity, but theyre pretty much guaranteed to always be unpleasant. Notably, yeast infections have similar symptoms to other vaginal infections like bacterial vaginosis or vaginitis, so identifying whats going on is essential to make sure youre treating the right problem and making things better instead of worse. Heres what to look out for, per the Mayo Clinic:
- Changes in your discharge. Vaginal discharge during a yeast infection typically becomes thick and white like cottage cheese . You might also experience watery discharge. Unlike a bacterial infection like vaginosis, yeast infections do not make discharge smelly.
- Vulva swelling or redness, or a vaginal rash.
- Vaginal pain and soreness.
While those are pretty typical yeast infection symptoms, you might also deal with whats known as a complicated yeast infection. With complicated yeast infections, your symptoms will be more severe, with extensive redness, swelling, and itching that leads to tears, cracks, and sores. You can read more about recurring and complicated yeast infections here.
Q: Can A Yeast Infection Harm My Pregnancy
A:No. A yeast infection wont affect your developing baby thats why we dont treat yeast infections that dont have symptoms. However, most symptomatic yeast infections get worse when left untreated. This means more itching, redness, and inflammation. If the skin becomes cracked or torn from repeated scratching, a skin infection can result. In rare cases, an untreated yeast infection can lead to fatigue, oral thrush, or digestive problems.
Recommended Reading: How To Clear An Infection Without Antibiotics
Can A Yeast Infection Be Prevented
You can prevent some yeast infections by doing these things:
- Use good oral hygiene to help prevent yeast infection in your mouth . This includes brushing and flossing your teeth every day and using mouthwash as needed.
- Wear cotton underwear to help to prevent a vaginal or genital yeast infection. If you are a woman and get vaginal yeast infections often, you may want to take probiotics.
- Keep areas where skin rubs up against skin dry and try to reduce friction.
What Should I Watch For While Using This Medication
Visit your care team for regular checkups. If you are taking this medication for a long time you may need blood work. Tell your care team if your symptoms do not improve. Some fungal infections need many weeks or months of treatment to cure.
Alcohol can increase possible damage to your liver. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
If you have a vaginal infection, do not have sex until you have finished your treatment. You can wear a sanitary napkin. Do not use tampons. Wear freshly washed cotton, not synthetic, panties.
Read Also: Ear Drops For Middle Ear Infection
Can I Take Over
Yes, you can use over-the-counter medicines to treat Candida infections, specifically vaginal yeast infections. Though this treatment option may work, if you are unsure whether or not you have a yeast infection, talk with your healthcare provider to verify the source of the infection for the best treatment.
How Can I Prevent Future Yeast Infections
The best way to reduce your risk of getting a yeast infection is to avoid things that promote the growth of yeast. Heres how:
- Keep the vaginal area clean and dry. After showering, dry the area thoroughly. Always remove wet swimsuits and exercise clothes right away and change into cotton pants without underwear. Limit the amount of time you spend in hot tubs or very hot baths.
- Let the area breathe. Wear cotton, not nylon, underwear and avoid tights and pantyhose without a cotton lining, as well as tight pants. Consider not wearing underwear during sleep to allow some airflow.
- Watch your sugar intake, including alcohol! Sugar is the main food source for yeast.
- Take probiotics, especially if you are taking antibiotics. Probiotics, found in cultured foods like yogurt and especially in Activia, help restore your normal vaginal bacteria.
- Finally, always avoid douches, feminine sprays, deodorant tampons, and even bubble baths, which may contain chemicals that can be irritating.
Recommended Reading: Pain Meds For Urinary Tract Infection
Is Candida Albicans Contagious
Normally, yeast infections are not contagious, but Candida albicans infections have the potential to spread to different hosts if you have a weakened immune system or if you are taking certain medications. It is unlikely that you will spread a Candida albicans infection if you are healthy.
If you come into contact with someone with infection by Candida albicans in their mouth , avoid contact with their saliva, although this may be tricky for new mothers. If you are breastfeeding an infant with thrush, you may develop the infection as well. Make sure to treat your infection and your babys infection at the same time to avoid recurrence.
Signs Of A Complicated Infection
Sometimes the symptoms of a yeast infection can be more serious and require extra care. You might need a longer course of treatment or a plan to keep the infection from coming back.
You can get a more complicated infection if:
- You have uncontrolled diabetes
- Your immune system is weakened by medications youâre taking or a health condition like HIV
Your infection might also be more complicated if itâs caused by a different type of fungus than what commonly causes yeast infections.
Signs of a complicated infection include:
- Symptoms so severe that it causes tears or sores
- A recurrence of yeast infection four or more times in a year
Also Check: Where Do I Go For A Yeast Infection
What Is A Uti
While a yeast infection is fungal, a UTI is a bacterial infection in the urinary tract. Furthermore, UTI symptoms typically affect urination.
They may cause a burning sensation when you urinate, or you may feel a need to urinate more frequently. Yeast infection symptoms may include pain when urinating, but youll also experience pain and itchiness in the affected area. Vaginal yeast infections also typically cause a thick, milky discharge, while UTIs dont. Weve listed some more common UTI symptoms below.
Can Vaginal Yeast Infections Be Prevented
For most girls, there’s no way to prevent yeast infections. You may feel more comfortable and have less irritation if you wear breathable cotton underwear and clothes and avoid vaginal sprays and douches. Wearing cotton underwear may also help prevent yeast infections.
If you have diabetes, keeping blood sugar levels stable also can help you avoid yeast infections.
If you think you have an infection, call your doctor for advice. Don’t take leftover antibiotics or someone else’s antibiotics or medicine. They might be the wrong choice for your condition, and taking antibiotics when they’re not needed can make yeast infections more likely.
Yeast infections can be annoying, especially if they happen often. To help avoid them, follow your doctor’s advice, wear cotton underwear, and try to wear loose-fitting clothes. Your body will thank you.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Antibiotics Are Used For Sinus Infection
Symptoms Of Other Types Of Yeast Infections
Cutaneous candidiasis most often causes intense itching, as well as a pimple-like infection of the hair follicles and a rash on various areas of the skin, including the skin folds, genitals, abdominal region, buttocks, and under the breasts.
Common symptoms of thrush and candida esophagitis include:
- White patches on various parts of the mouth and throat
- Redness or soreness and pain while eating or swallowing
- Feeling like you have cotton in your mouth
What Is This Medication
FLUCONAZOLE prevents and treats fungal or yeast infections. It belongs to a group of medications called antifungals. It will not prevent or treat colds, the flu, or infections caused by bacteria or viruses.
This medicine may be used for other purposes ask your health care provider or pharmacist if you have questions.
COMMON BRAND NAME: Diflucan
Don’t Miss: Salt Water Gargle For Tooth Infection
What Causes Yeast Infections
normal changes in hormone levels
antibiotics, cortisone, and other drugs
a weak immune system
a natural reaction to another person’s genital chemistry
Yeast infections arent an STD. They arent contagious, and cant spread to another person during sex. But sexual contact sometimes leads to yeast infections your body chemistry can have a bad reaction to another persons natural genital yeast and bacteria, which causes yeast to grow.
People can also get a yeast infection on their mouth, throat, or tongue thats called “thrush.”
What Increases My Risk Of Getting A Yeast Infection
Certain factors make you more likely to get a vaginal yeast infection.
Certain factors can increase your risk of getting a vaginal yeast infection. Some of those are:
Certain lifestyle risk factors also increase your risk of a vaginal yeast infection, such as:
- Sitting in a wet bathing suit.
- Not changing out of sweaty clothes.
- Wearing scented tampons or using a vaginal deodorant.
You May Like: How Long Can A Urine Infection Last
What Tests Diagnose Infections By Candida Albicans
Depending on the type of infection, your healthcare provider will test the infection to further diagnose the issue to offer a specific treatment plan. Tests for Candida albicans include:
- Culture test: Your healthcare provider will swab the infected area with sterile cotton and examine the yeast and bacteria under a microscope.
- Endoscopy: In the case of thrush, your healthcare provider may examine your esophagus, stomach and small intestine with a small light and camera mounted on a tube.
Is It Safe To Use Over
Yes, but always talk with your doctor or nurse before treating yourself for a vaginal yeast infection. This is because:
- You may be trying to treat an infection that is not a yeast infection. Studies show that two out of three women who buy yeast infection medicine don’t really have a yeast infection.2 Instead, they may have an STI or bacterial vaginosis . STIs and BV require different treatments than yeast infections and, if left untreated, can cause serious health problems.
- Using treatment when you do not actually have a yeast infection can cause your body to become resistant to the yeast infection medicine. This can make actual yeast infections harder to treat in the future.
- Some yeast infection medicine may weaken condoms and diaphragms, increasing your chance of getting pregnant or an STI when you have sex. Talk to your doctor or nurse about what is best for you, and always read and follow the directions on the medicine carefully.
You May Like: What Antibiotic Is Used For Dental Infection
How Do I Manage Symptoms Of Candida Albicans Infection
Taking care of your symptoms starts with eliminating environments where Candida thrives. You can take steps to manage symptoms by:
- Avoid foods with refined carbohydrates, yeast or foods high in sugar.
- Treat the infection with medication as prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- Manage your overall health and treat underlying health conditions.
Why Am I Still Feeling Irritation And Burning After I Treated My Yeast Infection
Someone asked us:
Why even after yeast infection treatment, it still burns and itches?
Most over-the-counter yeast infection treatments work within one to three days, depending on the brand. Your nurse or doctor can also prescribe you a single pill that you swallow to treat your yeast infection.
Even though yeast infections can be really itchy, try not to scratch, because it can make your infection worse. There are over-the-counter creams that you can use on your vulva to help calm the irritation. Your nurse or doctor can also give you tips on relieving burning and itching.
If you finish your treatment and your symptoms persist for more than a week, talk to your nurse or doctor to see whats going on. You may require further treatment or something else may be causing the irritation. You can always schedule an appointment at your local Planned Parenthood health center.
Planned Parenthood delivers vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of people worldwide. Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. is a registered 501 nonprofit under EIN 13-1644147. Donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowable under the law.
You May Like: Cvs Brand Yeast Infection Treatment
Treating A Yeast Infection
If you know that it is a yeast infection from past experience and are familiar with the symptoms, you want an effective and convenient medicine – one that works at the site of the infection. Try MONISTAT®, the #1 OTC antifungal.
MONISTAT® comes in 3 doses: highest dose MONISTAT® 1, regular strength MONISTAT® 3, and low dose MONISTAT® 7. Regardless of which product you choose, you should begin to experience some symptom relief after 3 days, and complete relief in 7 days.
Highest Dose MONISTAT® 1 may be the perfect solution for busy women with active lifestyles. This powerful single-dose product is available in the Ovule® form for use day or night and will stay in place during daily activities, even during exercise.
Regular Strength MONISTAT® 3 is a great option for women who want a less concentrated treatment that provides consistent treatment and relief at moderate dosage levels.
Low Dose MONISTAT® 7 has smaller doses of the active ingredient evenly distributed throughout the week at bedtime. Only 7-day topical yeast infection treatments are recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the treatment of yeast infections in pregnant and diabetic women .
When To See Your Doctor
If you are experiencing symptoms of an infection, but think that it might not be a yeast infection, use the Vaginal Health Test from MONISTAT® CARE to help determine if you need to see a doctor.
Make an appointment with your doctor if:
- It’s your first yeast infection
- You’re under 12 years of age
- You get an abnormal result from the Vaginal Health Test from MONISTAT® CARE
- You have missed a period, are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have or suspect you may have diabetes
- You’re taking the prescription drug Warfarin
- You have a weakened immune system
- You have recurring yeast infections
- You may have been exposed to HIV
- You develop other symptoms such as rash, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, lower abdominal, back or shoulder pain
- You have foul-smelling or greenish-grayish vaginal discharge
- You’re using MONISTAT® and there is no improvement in symptoms within 3 days
- You’re using MONISTAT® and symptoms last more than 7 days
If you are unsure of what to ask or uncomfortable speaking with your doctor regarding yeast infection concerns, download our
Don’t Miss: Medicine Used For Ear Infection
What Are The Treatment Options For This Infection
One of the ways to treat this infection is with antibiotics.
These antibiotics will kill off the infection in the short term but will not treat the infection itself.
Instead, there are natural remedies that you can use to cure this infection.
One of the best natural remedies for curing the infection is tea tree oil.
This remedy contains anti-fungal properties that are very effective.
Also, garlic capsules that you can buy at your local pharmacy should also help cure the infection.
Another natural treatment for this infection is apple cider vinegar.
This natural remedy is effective at killing the bacteria that have infected the area.
You should make sure you get enough Vitamin C, and zinc in your diet as well.
You should also try to avoid douching since the chlorine in the water will kill the good bacteria that help the yeast infections.
Also, dont drink alcohol because it will kill all the good bacteria that will help you fight off the bad bacteria, and thus, your infection will spread.
So drink plenty of water throughout the day, and eat yogurt to help replenish your body with the nutrients that it needs to keep fighting off these yeast infections.
Treatment to clear a UTI requires antibiotics prescribed by your health care provider.
To help reduce your risk for a UTI, take these steps: