What Is A Urinalysis
A urinalysis is a test that examines the visual, chemical and microscopic aspects of your urine . It can include a variety of tests that detect and measure various compounds that pass through your urine using a single sample of urine.
While several different aspects of your health can be tested with a urine sample, your healthcare provider will choose which tests to order under a urinalysis depending on your symptoms and situation.
Urinary Tract Infections In Boys
Urinary tract infections in boys are the result of bacteria getting into the bladder and staying there. UTIs are common in kids, especially girls and uncircumcised boys. E. Coli, responsible for over 75% of UTIs, doubles every 20 minutes in the bladder. That means if there are 100 bacteria of E. Coli in the bladder and you wait three hours to go to the bathroom, you will have over 50,000 bacteria in your bladder. The more bacteria in the bladder and the longer it stays there, the more likely you are to get a UTI.
There are many things that can be done to both treat urinary tract infections in boys and prevent them in the future.
How Can I Treat Pelvic Pain At Home
If you suffer from chronic pelvic pain, there are a few things you can do to ease symptoms at home. For example:
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or naproxen sodium can help reduce swelling that leads to pelvic pain. Acetaminophen can also ease painful symptoms.
- Make time for exercise. Even though you may not feel like moving, exercise helps increase blood flow and may help reduce your discomfort.
- Apply heat. Place a heating pad or warm compress over the area, or take a long soak in a hot bath.
- Stop smoking. Tobacco products can inflame nerves and cause pain. Avoiding these habits can help relieve pain.
- Take supplements. If your pelvic pain symptoms are due to vitamin or mineral deficiency, supplements could help soothe your discomfort. Talk to your healthcare provider before incorporating supplements into your daily routine.
- Practice relaxation exercises. Yoga, mindfulness or meditation can help reduce stress and tension. As a result, chronic pain may be eased.
Don’t Miss: Best Meds For An Ear Infection
Urinary Tract Infections In Men
Men can get UTIs, particularly if they have trouble with urine flow. Older men who experience prostatitis are at a higher risk. If the bladder is not emptying properly, the build up ofurine makes it more difficult to cure the infection.
A small number of young men may get a UTI. In males, this is usually the result of a sexually transmitted disease.
How Do You Get A Uti In The Upper Tract
An untreated UTI could eventually lead to an upper urinary tract infection. You get an upper UTI when those nasty bacteria that have made your bladder their home decide to travel up your ureters and set up shop in your kidneys, as well.
If that happens, you’ll want to take care of it right away. This type of UTI can lead to permanent kidney damage or even a life-threatening condition called sepsis.
In addition to the painful urination and cloudy or bloody pee many people have with a lower UTI, look out for upper UTI symptoms, such as:
Read Also: Feel A Bladder Infection Coming On
Youve Got A Cold The Flu Or Allergies
You may be tempted to curse your seasonal sneezes, a cold, or the dreaded flu for making your life even more miserable with a UTI, but these ailments arent the cause. The meds you take to manage symptoms could be.
Though theyre the bomb at keeping your runny or stuffy nose in check, antihistamines and decongestants might make you go less by causing urinary retention. And see No. 6 that may lead to a UTI.
How To Reduce The Risk Of A Bladder Infection
Expert opinions vary on whether certain lifestyle changes reduce the risk of bladder infection, but it may be helpful to: Drink plenty of liquids, especially water, to help flush out bacteria. Urinate often, especially when you feel the need. Wipe from front to back after urination or a bowel movement. Take showers rather than baths.
Also Check: Can Bladder Cancer Be Cured If Caught Early
Also Check: Ear Infection Clear Up On Its Own
What Is Pelvic Pain
Although pelvic pain often refers to pain in the region of women’s reproductive organs, it can be present in both men and women and can stem from other causes. Pelvic pain might be a symptom of infection or might arise from pain in the pelvic bone or in non-reproductive internal organs. In people designated female at birth , however, pelvic pain can very well be an indication that there might be a problem with one of the reproductive organs in the pelvic area .
Is It Necessary For You To Visit A Medical Professional
Yes, if you notice any symptoms of yeast infection such as burning, itching, pain, discharge, or unusual odors, see your doctor immediately. Your doctor will examine you and take samples of your urine and vaginal secretions to check for signs of infection. He or she may prescribe medication to treat the condition. How long does a yeast infection usually last? Answer: Most women experience a yeast infection within two weeks after becoming sexually active. In rare cases, however, a woman may develop a yeast infection even though she has never had sex.
You May Like: Fluconazole 150 For Yeast Infection
Diagnosis For A Uti Is Necessary
A proper diagnosis of the urinary tract infection is necessary to get the right effective treatment. Your urologist will prescribe you some antibiotics depending upon the results of the diagnostics. Also, never choose self-medication go and consult a doctor. Self-medication might provide you only symptomatic temporary relief.
The risk of side-effects or allergies is also quite high in self-medication. So, only use the antibiotics prescribed by your doctor and follow healthy practices that will keep you safe and away from catching a urinary tract infection.
How Do You Get Strep Throat
Transmission of strep bacteria occurs when an infected person coughs or sneezes near someone else, who then inhales the contaminated droplets into their nose or mouth.
Strep throat can also spread through direct contact with infected saliva or nasal secretions. Sharing silverware with someone who has an infection can pass on the bacteria.
Don’t Miss: Is Cephalexin Good For Skin Infections
Should I Be Concerned If I Have An Abnormal Result On My Urinalysis
If one of your urinalysis test results is abnormal, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have a medical condition. Several factors can affect or interfere with urinalysis test results, including:
- Certain medications and supplements, such as metronidazole and vitamin C supplements.
- Contamination of germs or other substances, such as vaginal discharge or menstrual blood, during the urine sample collection.
- Error in the processing of the test.
Your healthcare provider will consider your medical history, current medications and your results and let you know if you need to repeat the test or undergo further testing.
What Can I Do If I Have Bladder Pain From Foods
Living with bladder irritation can be uncomfortable. But you can take steps to remove irritants from your diet and reduce pain. Avoid foods that irritate your bladder, and remember that water is important. Drinking enough water helps you feel more comfortable after you eat foods that irritate your bladder.
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Bladder discomfort can be frustrating and even embarrassing. Conditions like IC can make you feel like you need to pee even after youve already gone to the bathroom, and your bladder can hurt a lot. But you can get help to reduce irritation. Talk to your healthcare provider about your bladder irritation and possible food and drink causes.
Recommended Reading: Can A Bladder Infection Stop Your Period
Can Urinary Tract Infection Cause Sneaky Urine
11 Sneaky Causes of Urinary Tract Infections. Getting a urinary tract infection is the worst. OK, thats a little dramatic. But with symptoms that include a burning sensation when you go to the bathroom, feeling like you have to go all the time but cant, and foul-smelling or dark urine, UTIs can be torturous.
Urinary tract infection is one of the most common infections in the community, accounting for an estimated 7 to 10 million adult physician office visits each year in the USA . The urinary tract comprises of the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra. Urinary tract infections are twice as common in women as men, and around 50 % of women have at least one episode of UTI in their lifetime. The high prevalence of UTI in children, women and the elderly, and the need for antibiotic therapy results in a significant public health problem with considerable personal impact on the individuals life.Before I continue with this article, you should know Ive recently compiled a list of science-backed ways to get rid of candida yeast infections. You can if you havent yet.What is Bladder Infection?
The urinary bladder is normally sterile. The presence of disease causing bacteria, or uropathogens, in the bladder leads to bladder infection or acute cystitis, characterized by an inflammatory reaction of the bladder to the bacteria.
What are the causes of Bladder Infection?The causes of bladder infection are:
How Is A Uti Diagnosed
To find out whether you have a UTI, your doctor or nurse will test a clean sample of your urine. This means you will first wipe your genital area with a special wipe. Then you will collect your urine in midstream in a cup. Your doctor or nurse may then test your urine for bacteria to see whether you have a UTI, which can take a few days.
If you have had a UTI before, your doctor may order more tests to rule out other problems. These tests may include:
- A cystogram. This is a special type of x-ray of your urinary tract. These x-rays can show any problems, including swelling or kidney stones.
- A cystoscopic exam. The cystoscope is a small tube the doctor puts into the urethra to see inside of the urethra and bladder for any problems.
Don’t Miss: How Long For Bladder Infection To Go Away
Here Are Some Ways You Can Get A Uti:
- Sex: Doing the deed can result in a UTI for a few reasons. “Sexual intercourse is the biggest trigger for UTIs in young women,” says Dr. Wallace. “Sometimes there can be stool contamination in the area.” Put another way, you could accidentally spread poop particles into your urethra when you’re getting frisky. That’s why people prone to UTIs often swear by peeing after sex as a prevention tactic.
- Your birth controlcan also hike up your risk of a UTI, according to the National Institutes of Health. Diaphragms can slow the flow of your pee and spermicides can irritate your skinâtwo situations that bacteria love.
- Wiping back to front: Wiping the wrong way is another reason you can get a UTI. “Wiping can put the bacteria in the wrong place. That’s why you want to wipe front to back,” says Dr. Wallace.
- Kidney stones: As if kidney stones weren’t bad enough on their own, these hard deposits can also cause a UTI. “Some patients can have kidney stones that are colonized by bacteria,” says Dr. Linehan. “If you give them antibiotics, it will treat the infection, but the stone can still be a safe harbor for them. Once the infection is gone, the bacteria living on the stone slowly come out, grow, and boomâwe have an infection.” Kidney stones can also cause UTIs if they block your urinary tract. That makes it difficult to fully release all your pee, creating a breeding ground for bacteria.
To get our top stories delivered to your inbox, sign up for the Healthy Living newsletter
Other Symptoms Of Utis
If the person has a sudden and unexplained change in their behaviour, such as increased confusion, agitation, or withdrawal, this may be because of a UTI.
These pages explain what a UTI is, the different types of UTIs, their symptoms and treatments, and gives tips on how they may be prevented.
Recommended Reading: Yeast Infection Pill Fluconazole Side Effects
Symptoms Of Urinary Tract Infections In Cats
Most cats with urinary tract infections will make frequent trips to the litter box and seem restless. They may go into the box and strain to pee but produce either a small amount of urine or no urine at all. Occasionally, their urine may appear bloody.
Some cats will avoid the litter box because they have associated it with the discomfort caused by the UTI. Instead, they may urinate in other places in your home. Sinks, bathtubs, and clean laundry are popular spots. Your cat also may vomit and seem lethargic as the problem progressesespecially male cats.
In most cases, acute and chronic urinary tract infections will cause very similar symptoms. However, some cats with the chronic form show no signs of disease.
Can Utis Be Prevented
While not a cure for UTIs, providing more water for your dog can lessen the chance of this infection from starting. Be sure your dog always has plenty of fresh, clean waterchange the bowl when you see globs of drool or food floating around. Let your dog outside more often if possibledont let him hold it for hours and hours. This can prevent an accident from happening in your home as well! You can also give your dog probiotic supplements to encourage the growth of healthy bacteria. Last, make sure the area around your dogs urinary opening is clean of any debris, scratches, etc. Most pet stores sell antibacterial wipes, which can be used to clean this area.
How Can I Prevent Utis
If you have repeated UTIs, try these self-help measures to prevent recurring infections:
- Drink more fluids to help flush out bacteria.
- Urinate as soon as you feel the need.
- Urinate immediately after intercourse.
- Wear cotton underwear and loose-fitting pants.
- Find an alternative method of birth control if you use spermicides.
- Dont use perfumed soaps, talcum powder or deodorant around the genital area.
- Avoid constipation.
- Use lubricant gel with intercourse if the vaginal area is dry.
There is conflicting evidence for drinking cranberry juice to prevent UTIs. If you want to try cranberry products, ask your doctor for advice.
If infections are an ongoing problem, you may need to be referred to an urologist for further treatment.
When Should I See My Doctor
If you have any symptoms associated with a UTI or a pre-existing health condition, dont delay visiting your doctor for treatment.
UTIs can be more dangerous if youre pregnant, due to an increased risk of kidney involvement. See your doctor if you are pregnant and you think you have a UTI, even if your symptoms are mild.
Children with UTI symptoms should see a doctor, to check for a more serious underlying condition.
Bladder infections may spread to your kidneys . This is a serious infection and needs immediate treatment with antibiotics. Signs and symptoms of kidney infection include fever, back pain, diarrhoea and vomiting. If you have these symptoms, it is important to see your doctor.
Read Also: Certification In Infection Control Cic
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Utis
If you have a UTI, you may:
- pass very small amounts of urine
- feel the need or urge to pass urine frequently
- feel that the bladder is still full after passing urine
- feel unwell with nausea and fever
- experience confusion
- have pain stinging or a burning feeling when urinating
- have smelly, cloudy, dark or blood in the urine
- pain in the lower back or sides or feel uncomfortable in your lower abdomen
Signs of UTIs in children can also include:
Diagnosing Uti In Puppies
While a urinary tract infection is painful and uncomfortable for your puppy, it is generally not life-threatening. However, misdiagnosis can interfere with house training and result in accidents that are beyond the puppys control.
In rare cases, a UTI may also be a sign of an underlying problem like Cushings disease in dogs, bladder stones, canine kidney failure, diabetes in dogs, or even bladder cancer. And if left untreated, a UTI can cause permanent damage to your puppys kidneys. So it is important to have a vet examine and properly diagnose you puppy.
To diagnose a UTI, your veterinarian will perform a urinalysis to check for an infection and evaluate kidney function. Further diagnostic tests such as a culture or bloodwork may also be completed in order to determine the type of infection and rule out other health concerns. Your vet may also choose to take x-rays of your puppy to see if there are any stones or abnormalities in the urinary tract or bladder.
You May Like: What Doctor To See For Ear Infection
Youre Using Certain Methods Of Birth Control
When it comes to UTI prevention, not all birth control methods are created equal. Luckily, only one method is associated with UTIs: a diaphragm.
Because of where the diaphragm sits, it puts pressure on the urethra, which might lead to an increased risk, says Minkin. The good news? There are plenty of other great birth control options.