How To Cure Yeast Infection With Garlic
Garlic is a common kitchen ingredient with some miraculous properties. If you are suffering from yeast infection on the face, then try this fantastic remedy and get rid of the infection easily at home.
How to use?
- Take two to three fresh garlic cloves
- Crush them and add water to make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on the affected area
- Leave it for ten minutes and then rinse with water
- Repeat this remedy two times a day to see effective results
- To increase the effect, add garlic to your diet to fight the infection.
Benefits of Garlic
Garlic has strong antifungal properties which makes it a useful ingredient against yeast infection. If you are looking for how to get rid of a yeast infection naturally, then this is the best remedy that you can employ.
Garlic may irritate the skin, hence if you have sensitive skin, then rub a piece of garlic on your arm to know your skins sensitivity to it. If you are taking garlic orally, then you must not exceed four cloves a day.
Lifestyle Changes That Support Medical Yeast Infection Treatment
While taking yeast infection medication, certain lifestyle changes can help relieve symptoms and prevent worsening symptoms. These include:
- Keeping your genital area clean and dry
- Wearing loose-fitting underwear, pants, or shorts to prevent irritation and sweating, which can lead to the growth of more yeast
- Promptly changing out of wet bathing suits or exercise clothing, and washing sweat-covered or wet clothes after each use
- Keeping your blood sugar level under control if you have diabetes
When Should I See A Doctor
If youve never had a yeast infection, you should see a doctor for a proper diagnosis before you try any OTC treatments.
You should also talk with a doctor if you dont notice any improvement in your symptoms within 7 to 14 days. In this case, you may need a prescription-strength treatment, or you could have a different infection.
Also Check: How Fast Can You Get A Yeast Infection
Coconut Oil And Tea Tree Oil Ointment
Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid and caprylic, which contain antifungal and antimicrobial action, making it a great way to treat genital yeast infections. Tea trees are a medicinal plant with potent antibacterial and antifungal action and using its essential oil to treat a yeast infection can help to decrease fungal growth.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, solid
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
How to prepare:
Wash you hands well. In a bowl, mix the coconut oil and tea tree oil with a spoon until well-combined. Apply to the genitals once per day for up to 5 days.
How To Prevent Yeast Infections
There are a number of ways to prevent a yeast infection.
- Wear cotton underwear. Loose-fitting, cotton underwear is most conducive to a healthy microbiome. Avoid garments that are tight and arent as breathable, as well as things like sweaty workout wear. These clothes can create a humid, damp area, which is the ideal environment for Candida overgrowth. Because of this, it is also important to change out of damp or sweaty clothes, like workout clothes or swimwear, quickly.
- Avoid hot tubs and scalding hot baths, which foster Candida growth, due to the warm, moist environments.
- Take probiotics or eat yogurt with probiotics since they help balance the vaginal microflora. As well as treatment for yeast infections, probiotics are helpful in the prevention of yeast infections. The best probiotic to take will be with those containing the Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 bacteria.
- Avoid behaviors that may lead to yeast infections, such as poor hygiene. When performing personal hygiene practices, avoid douching, scented vaginal washes or scented lotions, as well as perfumed sanitary products near the genitals, which can throw off the balance of the vaginas microflora.
- Avoid sugary and processed foods. Yeast grows from sugar, so this can cause a surplus of yeast growth.
Read Also: Urinary Tract Infection Blood In Pee
Essential Oil Of Oregano
Common oregano, or Origanum marjoram, is what you usually find in your grocery stores spice section. However, the oil of oregano used to treat yeast infections is not the same type.
Look for oregano oil made from wild oregano, or Origanum vulgare.
A 2017 study found oregano essential oil to be effective in altering the growth of C. Albicans.
Never ingest essential oils. Essential oils are meant to be inhaled as part of aromatherapy. While some studies are examining other ways to use essential oil of oregano, experts recommend diluting it in a carrier oil, such as olive or sweet almond oil, at this time.
There Are Dozens Of Treatments For Vaginal Yeast Infections Which One Is Right For You
Yeast infections are caused by the Candida genus of yeasts , most often Candida albicans.
Research shows that C. albicans colonizes the vaginas of about 20 percent of women and 30 percent of pregnant women.
Though this colonization doesn’t cause symptoms, symptomatic yeast infections can develop when the balance of microbial communities within the body gets thrown off by things like medication , hormonal changes, and the overuse of feminine hygiene products.
There are numerous drugs that can be used to treat vaginal yeast infections.
They can be purchased over-the-counter or with a prescription, and take the form of an antifungal cream, ointment, suppository, or medicated tampon. An oral tablet is also available.
It’s important to get diagnosed by your doctor before trying OTC drugs especially if you’ve never had a yeast infection before because the symptoms of yeast infections are similar to other types of vaginal infections, including bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis .
Read Also: What Antibiotic Good For Ear Infection
Monistat’s Yeast Infection Treatment Contains 65% Tioconazole To Treat Yeast
We independently research, test, review, and recommend the bestproducts. Healthcare professionals review articles for medical accuracy. Learn more about our process. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Three out of four people with vaginas will experience yeast infections at some point in their lifetime. People become symptomatic when an overgrowth of the organism, typically Candida, penetrates the superficial layers of the skin,” says Barbara Frank, MD, an OB-GYN in Brookline, Massachusetts, and medical adviser to Attn: Grace. Because yeast infections can cause itching burning, and redness, it’s important to have over-the-counter yeast infection medicines on hand.
How Do I Know If Its A Yeast Infection Or A Urinary Tract Infection
If you are experiencing a vaginal yeast infection, you may have unusual, generally odorless, vaginal discharge that is thick and milky looking. You may also have pain or itchiness in your genital area.
If you are experiencing a UTI, you may have pain and burning when urinating, foul-smelling urine, as well as fever, chills, nausea, and pain in your pelvis.
Yeast infections and UTIs occur in the same area, but the symptoms are very different.
Recommended Reading: Yeast Infection Resistant To Diflucan
How To Prevent A Yeast Infection
Following are the ways that can help prevent yeast infection
- Wear cotton underwear that allows more air-flow in the genital area. Unlike nylon and polyester fabrics, cotton does not hold moisture which is one of the prime reasons for the growth of yeast in the region.
- Use unscented products for genital care. Unscented soaps, tampons or pads, powders may irritate the skin and kill good bacteria, thus must be avoided.
- Switch to a healthy diet that strengthens your immunity. A healthy diet plays a vital role in keeping you hale and hearty. Eat fruits and vegetables that boost your immunity and fight the microbes that may cause infections.
Other Home Remedies For Yeast Infections
Much as you might like to cottagecore your way through a yeast infection, natural home remedies like yogurt, garlic, vinegar, and tea tree oil arent going to solve your problems.
In fact, using an unproven remedy instead of an OTC med might make the infection worse, since it gives the yeast more time to flourish and could potentially make your tissue more irritated.
Theres no place for commercial yogurt or garlic in treating yeast infections. Douching with vinegar can actually increase the risk for other infections like bacterial vaginosis, and tea tree oil can actually kill friendly microbes, explains Felice Gersh, MD, an OB/GYN and founder of the Integrative Medical Group of Irvine in Irvine, California.
One home option that might actually be helpful? Coconut oil. Test-tube studies, at least, suggest that it can help fight the bad bacteria that cause yeast infections about as well as conventional antifungals.
But its far from a proven treatment. So if you want to give it a try, definitely talk with your gyno first. They might recommend using the coco to complement a proven antifungal treatment.
You May Like: Best Non Penicillin Antibiotic For Sinus Infection
Yeast Infection Vs Uti: Know The Difference
Yeast Infection and Urinary Tract infection, both affect your genital area but are two distinct conditions. To treat them effectively it is essential to identify them. Here are some points that can help you know the type of infection
- Yeast infection causes constant pain in the affected area while in case of Urinary Tract infection one will experience pain and burning sensation while urinating.
- UTI may cause you to urinate more while that is not the case with Yeast Infection.
- UTI may cause pain in the lower abdomen region, back, and the sides while yeast infection causes swelling in the genital area which is accompanied by pain.
These were some of the best home remedies for yeast infection. The itchy infection is indeed a reason to worry, but you can treat it effectively by using the treatments mentioned above.
These help in curing the yeast infection and prevent it from spreading further. The infection may occur on any part of your body hence you must maintain proper hygiene and a healthy diet. Little changes can significantly help in preventing it.
How To Treat Yeast Infection In A Baby With Apple Cider Vinegar
How to use?
- Add some amount of apple cider vinegar in the warm bath of your baby
- Soak your baby in the apple cider vinegar bath for a few minutes
- After that, pat your baby dry and apply a moisturizer
- Mix apple cider vinegar in an organic diaper rash cream in the ratio 1:4
- Store the mixture in an air-tight container
- Apply this blend on the infected area, every time you change the diaper of your baby
- Before applying the mixture, thoroughly wash the area and pat it dry
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider vinegar has strong acidic and antifungal properties that kill the fungus which causes the infection.
Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic it may affect your babys sensitive skin. Hence you must dilute it accordingly.
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Yeast Infection In Your Bum
Causes Of Recurring Yeast Infections
Some women are more susceptible to yeast infections than others and will have recurring yeast infections or chronic yeast infections. There are a few possible reasons someone may deal with recurrent yeast infections:
- Sexual activity. While yeast infections are not a sexually transmitted infection , it is possible in some cases for partners to pass the Candida to each other. To prevent this, use condoms or dental dams and practice good hygiene after sexual intercourse, such as showering. Avoid having intercourse when one partner has a yeast infection.
- The original yeast infection was not completely treated or the yeast infection is caused by a drug-resistant strain. Symptoms may disappear before the infection is fully treated. When this happens, the yeast infection will come back. There are also strains of yeast that are more drug-resistant, which makes it harder to get rid of than others.
- It is not a yeast infection. There are other infections, such as bacterial vaginosis, or STIs, that may have similar symptoms. This is one of the most important reasons for visiting a doctor, such as a gynecologist or primary care physician, when a yeast infection does not clear up, or when youre not sure that what youre dealing with is a yeast infection.
- Those with certain conditions, such as impaired immune systems, pregnancy, or uncontrolled diabetes, are more susceptible to yeast infections.
Sitz Bath With Chamomile Tea
Chamomile has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties, which can help to treat and reduce symptoms associated with genital yeast infections, like itching and burning. Learn more about the benefits of chamomile tea.
- 3 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers
How to prepare:
Boil the water, then remove from heat and add the dried chamomile flowers. Cover and allow to soak for 10 minutes. Then strain and pour into your sitz basin, along with more water to fill it up. After performing adequate genital hygiene, sit in the sitz bath for 20 minutes, once per day. You can also soak a gauze in this tea and pat the genital areas with it once per day.
Don’t Miss: One Day Otc Yeast Infection Treatment
Top 8 Home Remedies For Yeast Infection In Women
If youre suffering from a yeast infection natural remedies for yeast infection can help you get rid of the itch as soon as possible. A vaginal yeast infection, apart from giving very unpleasant symptoms, such as vaginal itching and discharge, can seriously affect your quality of life.
If left untreated, simple yeast infections can convert into recurrent yeast infections, which are much more difficult to treat. So make sure you start your treatment as soon as possible.
Fortunately, you can find the solution to your problem right in your pantry! Lets have a look at my list of 8 best and scientifically supported home remedies for yeast infection in women.
Effective Ways To Treat A Yeast Infection
Right off the bat, Dr. Goebel spots a problem with treating yeastinfections at home. The biggest issue is that self-diagnosis of yeastinfections is not very accurate, especially if you havent had one before, shesays.
Bacterial infections, allergic reactions and some skin conditions can cause similar symptoms, so its important to have a doctor confirm your diagnosis.
What if youve had yeast infections before, and theres nodoubt what youre dealing with? Dr. Goebel says your best bet is actual yeastinfection medication:
- Fluconazole is a prescription pill thatcan treat most yeast infections with a single dose, though it might take a fewdays for symptoms to clear up.
- Miconazole is an over-the-counter topicalcream. It comes in a variety of formulations, including one-day, three-day andseven-day options. The cream can be a little messy, but it can also bringfaster itch relief than oral fluconazole does, she says.
You May Like: How Do You Know If Your Yeast Infection Is Gone
How Is A Vaginal Yeast Infection Treated
If you’re not pregnant and you know you have a yeast infection, you can treat yourself with over-the-counter antifungal medicine. If you’re pregnant, don’t use these medicines without talking to your doctor first. If you have more than four infections in a year, see your doctor for testing and treatment.
Best Overall Yeast Infection Remedy
Monistat contains the antifungal ingredient miconazole, which is the gold standard for treating yeast infections and relieving discomfort. Seven-day treatments actually deliver the same overall dose as 1- and 3-day treatments. Its just spread out in smaller amounts over the course of the week, which some docs feel may be more effective.
The one-day products seem to get a lot of incomplete cure, says Megan Zaander, MD, a gynecologist in Lake Oswego, Oregon.
This cream is proven to work four times faster than prescription pills, can be used at night, and is safe to use during pregnancy . And thanks to the included disposable applicators, its not messy.
Some research from 2013 suggests that oral probiotics could play a role in fighting yeast infections and keeping them at bay. Good bacteria like lactobacillus are thought to help promote a healthier vaginal microbiome overall, which might make you more resistant to yeast infections.
Especially for my patients who deal with chronic vaginal infections, I recommend a daily probiotic, Zaander says.
Uqoras probiotic supplement contains bacterial strains that live in a healthy, happy vag, like Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Lactobacillus acidophilus, plus prebiotics to help the bugs survive their journey through your body.
Most Common Risk Factors For Developing Fungal Infections:
Why Trust Verywell Health
As a seasoned health writer, Jennifer Nied understands how vital quality product recommendations are for treating symptoms safely and effectively at home. For over 10 years, she has reviewed products, interviewed experts, scrutinized ingredients, and pored over research studies and claims, to help readers like you understand what works for your specific conditions. Every product in this piece was selected taking into account recommendations from doctors, published research, and real customer reviews.
Additional reporting to this story by Brittany Leitner
As a health writer with over eight years of experience, Brittany Leitner understands how important access to information is when it comes to making educated health decisions. She has interviewed dozens of medical experts, tested out hundreds of products, and aims to provide quality recommendations that won’t break the bank.
Recommended Reading: Do Bladder Infections Clear Up On Their Own