Our Criteria For Choosing The Best Yeast Infection Treatments
Here are the criteria we used to pick the products below:
- Rave reviews. We selected only products that got props from reviewers. All the products below have high ratings from customers.
- Reputable companies. We chose products from well-known companies with a good reputation.
- Readily available. Accessibility is a top priority. Not everyone can get to a doctors office on a dime, so we chose products that are available online and probably at your local pharmacy too.
- Affordable. You shouldnt have to shell out $$$$ to soothe a yeast infection, so we chose low cost products whenever possible.
- Expert input. We also got in touch with an expert to help us better understand how to treat a yeast infection.
When Thrush Mouth Is Caused By Local Issue In Mouth
When the yeast infection in the mouth is caused by a local issue in the mouth, the treatment is directly related to the source of the problem. In some cases, once the root cause is identified and treated, the infection in the mouth gets better without any additional steps needed.
In other cases, the following steps in the treatment usually include:
Figure Out If It’s Really A Yeast Infection
As Dr. Brandye pointed out, there are many things that you might confuse for a yeast infection, like BV, a UTI, or STIs like herpes. Here are some telltale signs to help you differentiate, especially if you’re not sure if you should pick up some Monistat, drink cranberry juice, or call your doc.
Yeast infections vs. Bacterial Vaginosis
Yeast infections have lots of itching and irritation and don’t usually have a lot of discharge, but if there is, it’s white and looks like cottage cheese, explains Dr. Brandye. A more severe yeast infection might cause you discharge with a greenish tint to it. On the other hand, bacterial vaginosis will usually have discharge with a fishy odor.
Yeast infections vs UTIs
Dr. Brandye also adds that sometimes urine coming into contact with the vulva may cause burning, which makes women think they’re experiencing a UTI and not a yeast infection, but UTIs have different symptoms, such as pelvic pain, pain when you urinate, and super frequent urination with with only a small amount of pee coming out.
Yeast infections vs STIs
If you notice any new bumps or lesions, it might not be a yeast infection and could be an STI. These bumps might not always be painful, but things like herpes can cause pain and irritation that may mimic a yeast infection, Dr. Brandye says. However, the pain from these lesions would be more localized to where the lesions are.
Recommended Reading: Can Mirena Iud Cause Yeast Infections
What To Expect From Prescription Treatment
If you have severe symptoms or OTC medication doesnt clear up your infection, you may need a prescription medication. Your healthcare provider may also recommend taking antifungal medications regularly if you get frequent yeast infections.
Prescription yeast infection medications, such as fluconazole , are taken by mouth. Youll usually only need one dose, but you may be prescribed two doses for very severe symptoms.
Other prescription yeast infection treatments include vaginal antifungal medications you can use for up to two weeks.
Your doctor may also recommend boric acid, another vaginal treatment, that can help treat yeast infections that dont respond to antifungal medications.
If you get a yeast infection while pregnant, OTC topical treatments can provide relief. Your healthcare provider wont prescribe fluconazole, as it can increase the risk of birth defects.
Still, its important to follow up with your healthcare provider if youre pregnant and have a yeast infection thats not getting better.
Why Does Monistat Cause Burning
As mentioned, burning doesnt need to be a part of your healing process. Sure, there are varying degrees of discomfort, ranging from slightly uncomfortable to oh-my-God my hoo-hoo is on fire! However, no matter the degree of discomfort youre experiencing, you might be able to totally avoid it once you understand what a yeast infection is and how you can heal it.
Remember that you should always seek a doctors advice if youre having vaginal itching and discomfort for the first time, or if youve never had a yeast infection diagnosed by a medical professional before. This is so you can be properly diagnosed since there are other conditions that are similar to a yeast infection but require different kinds of treatment.1
So why does Monistat burn? There are a couple of explanations for the discomfort/burning feeling you may be experiencing from your Monistat treatment:
Either way, should Monistat burn? Well, that depends. According to Monistats website, some women will experience a mild increase in vaginal burning, itching, irritation, or even stomach cramps when using Monistat.2 These side effects vary greatly from person to person, with some women having almost no reaction and others having great discomfort.
May cause uncomfortable itching
Active Ingredients: Tioconozole 300mg | Dose: One-dose treatment | Uses: To treat yeast infections
Read Also: Can A Urine Infection Cause Swollen Testicles
Stopping The Oral Thrush Cycle
Like the genital area, Candida is naturally occurring inside your mouth. But if Candida levels get out of control, you may develop thrush.
Symptoms include thick, white lesions that grow on the insides of the cheeks, tongue, and back of the throat. You may also have an uncomfortable feeling of fullness in your mouth. This can cause difficulty eating and swallowing.
Oral thrush tends to be more common in people with weakened immune systems, such as:
- people who have an autoimmune disorder
Wearing dentures or taking antibiotics can also lead to Candida overgrowth in your mouth.
Oral thrush is easily treatable. It involves taking antifungal medication taken by mouth.
Poor oral hygiene can lead to recurring thrush infections. Chronic oral thrush can also occur in babies who need to continue breastfeeding.
Ways to cut down on chronic oral thrush include the following:
- Replace your toothbrush or any mouth gear after an active oral thrush infection so you dont re-infect yourself.
- Clean and sterilize retainers and other dental gear like dentures, mouthguards, and water flossers. Consider consulting a dentist or doctor for tips.
- For babies with oral thrush, both mom and baby need to receive treatment. Having the household take preventive measures at the same time is also important.
Its also possible to develop a throat and esophageal yeast infection. Mucocutaneous candidiasis is behind this type of yeast infection. It affects the mucous membranes in the throat and esophagus.
Symptoms Of A Yeast Infection
The common symptoms of a yeast infection include:
- Vaginal itching and discomfort
Though a yeast infection can be uncomfortable, once treated, symptom relief is almost immediate.
STDs that are commonly mistaken for yeast infections include:
- Trichomoniasis. Known as trich, this STD also has the same symptoms of a yeast infection, but a more distinct vaginal discharge with a strong odor. Its caused by a parasite, transmitted during intercourse. Men who carry the parasite often show no symptoms and may not know they are infected. Women will normally show symptoms within 5 to 28 days and require treatment with antibiotics.
Don’t Miss: Iud And Yeast Infection Treatment
Warnings Of Vagisil And Monistat
- Vagisil should be used externally only and applied to the affected area. Do not apply to large areas of the body.
- Avoid contact with the eyes.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- If symptoms do not improve within 7 days, consult your doctor.
- Consult a doctor if you have never been diagnosed with a yeast infection. Do not use Monistat unless you have previously been diagnosed with a vaginal yeast infection. A yeast infection can have similar symptoms to bacterial vaginosis, so if this is the first time you are experiencing symptoms, it is best to get evaluated by a doctor.
- Check with your doctor before using Monistat if:
- your symptoms are accompanied by lower abdominal, back, or shoulder pain, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, or foul-smelling vaginal discharge. These symptoms may indicate a more serious condition.
- you have vaginal yeast infections often.
- you have been exposed to HIV.
Diflucan And Other Prescription Medicines For Yeast Infections
The most commonly prescribed oral yeast infection medicine is Diflucan. Its also available as , a more affordable generic version.
Fluconazole comes as a single pill that costs as low as $7 out of pocket with a GoodRx coupon. However, many insurance plans also cover the medication. Its thought to be similarly effective to the OTC creams mentioned above. But, because the creams can get messy, some people prefer an antifungal pill.
Also Check: Online Antibiotic For Tooth Infection
Can Vaginal Yeast Infections Be Prevented
For most girls, there’s no way to prevent yeast infections. You may feel more comfortable and have less irritation if you wear breathable cotton underwear and clothes and avoid vaginal sprays and douches. Wearing cotton underwear may also help prevent yeast infections.
If you have diabetes, keeping blood sugar levels stable also can help you avoid yeast infections.
If you think you have an infection, call your doctor for advice. Don’t take leftover antibiotics or someone else’s antibiotics or medicine. They might be the wrong choice for your condition, and taking antibiotics when they’re not needed can make yeast infections more likely.
Yeast infections can be annoying, especially if they happen often. To help avoid them, follow your doctor’s advice, wear cotton underwear, and try to wear loose-fitting clothes. Your body will thank you.
How Are Vaginal Yeast Infections Treated
If you’re using a vaginal treatment and are sexually active, you should not have sex until the infection has been completely treated because these medicines can weaken condoms and diaphragms.
All these types of medicine can clear up your symptoms in a couple of days and cure the infection within a week. It’s important to take the medicine for the whole time its prescribed. If you stop taking it too soon, the infection could come back. If you’re not feeling better within a few days of finishing treatment, call your doctor.
Some medicines used to treat yeast infections are available without a prescription, but you see a doctor for your diagnosis before buying one. You could have another type of infection that might get worse if not properly treated. Also, over-the-counter medicine should not be used by anyone younger than 12 or girls who might be pregnant without talking to a doctor first.
Recommended Reading: How Do Sinus Infections Spread
Last But Not Yeast: When To See A Doc
The symptoms of a yeast infection can seem similar to those of other vaginal health conditions such as bacterial vaginosis , which can lead to complications if left untreated.
Some infections may even require prescription meds to clear up. A severe yeast infection might be more painful and cause redness and .
If youre prone to yeast infections, you might be able to recognize the telltale signs and try to treat the infection at home using OTC meds. But Jones recommends seeing a doc if youre getting yeast infections on the regular. Ditto if youve tried an OTC treatment and youre still having symptoms.
If you use a store-bought treatment for a yeast infection, its pretty common to experience some discomfort and burning. But if that fire-like feeling doesnt go away or gets worse, you should see a doctor to rule out an allergic reaction or injury.
Vagisil Vs Monistat: Differences Similarities And Which Is Better For You
Drug overview & main differences | Conditions treated | Efficacy | Insurance coverage and cost comparison | Side effects | Drug interactions | Warnings | FAQ
If youre suffering from a vaginal yeast infection, youre not alone about 75% of women will experience a yeast infection at least once. Yeast infections are most commonly caused by a fungus called Candida albicans and cause pesky symptoms such as itching, burning, and discharge. Vagisil and Monistat are two popular over-the-counter medications commonly chosen by women for yeast infection treatment.
Vagisil contains benzocaine and resorcinol, which work as external analgesics, relieving symptoms of burning and itching. Monistatcontains miconazole, which is an antifungal that stops the growth of the fungus that is causing the yeast infection. While both medications are used for vaginal symptoms, such as itching and discomfort, they are very different medications in terms of ingredients and how they work.
Don’t Miss: How Do Wisdom Teeth Get Infected
Did I Get My Yeast Infection From My Partner
It’s possible that you’ve contracted your yeast infection from your partner. In turn, it’s also possible for you to pass on the infection to your partner. This applies to both men and women. Your partner may have an infection and not know itâyou can definitely get it through sexual contact.
- Start treatment at the same time. If both you and your partner seem to have symptoms of a yeast infection, you should both start treating it at the same time. Otherwise the yeast infection can keep going back and forth between each other.
- Avoid sexual activity. While you are both treating the infection, it would probably also be a good idea to avoid sexual contact until the symptoms are gone.
- Simultaneous diet changes. Also, since you and your partner may be passing the infection back and forth, you should both consider trying the diet change and yeast treatment at the same time.
Also, remember that just because yeast infections can spread through sexual contact, a yeast infection is not exclusive to sexual transmission. Anyone can get themâeven children and infants since it stems from an imbalance between the yeast and good bacteria. The infections occur typically where there is moisture. On a child or infant, this is typically the mouth or diaper area.
You Can Prevent Or Minimize Yeast Overgrowth Via Lifestyle Changes
The more we know about the relationships between yeast and bacteria, the more were aware that lifestyle can play a huge part. Women who eat more processed foods and/or sugary foods are more likely to experience yeast infections because yeast love sugar too!
Similarly, women who have been on antibiotics or use anti-bacterial soap may suffer from yeast blooms more frequently because these products kill the good bacteria as well as the bad, making it easy for the yeast to take over. Dont take an antibiotic unless you absolutely need it, and minimize the use of antibacterial products. In most cases, warm water and regular soap works just fine.
Other things that can help prevent yeast infections and vaginal irritation:
- Minimizing fragranced or perfumed body products, soaps and detergents
- Wearing no underwear or underwear that is 100% cotton for breathability
- Minimizing time spent in tight fitting garments
- Consuming food products that contain probiotics, like yogurt, kefir, naturally fermented foods, kombucha tea, organic apple cider vinegar.
- Be mindful of the connection between new products and vaginal itchiness because sometimes its as simple as an allergy or sensitivity to certain product ingredients.
Read our post on , which includes additional tips that can prevent yeast infections or general vaginal discomfort.
Think you might be suffering from a yeast infection? Schedule a visit with us here at Overlake so we can confirm it and get you back to comfort!
Recommended Reading: Best Relief For Yeast Infection
Common Side Effects Of Vagisil Vs Monistat
The most common side effects of Vagisil include local skin irritation or inflammation and skin peeling. Other, less common side effects that may occur include itching or redness, hives, stinging, or an allergic reaction.
The most common side effects of Monistat include headache, local burning sensation or irritation, and lower stomach cramping. An allergic reaction is very rare, but you should seek immediate medical attention if symptoms occur. Symptoms can include swelling of the face, tongue, or throat, trouble breathing, dizziness, and/or rash.
Other side effects may occur. Consult your gynecologist for a full list of side effects.
Common Symptoms In Men
Men can get yeast infections too. They can happen when thereâs an overgrowth of fungus on the skin. This can happen if a man has sex with a female partner who has a vaginal yeast infection. Itâs more common in men who arenât circumcised. The symptoms include:
- Itching, burning, or redness on the
- A thick, white substance in the skin folds of the , and moistness
Dont Miss: Yeast Infection On Your Period
Don’t Miss: How To Use Oregano Oil For Tooth Infection
When Should I See A Doctor
If youve never had a yeast infection, you should see a doctor for a proper diagnosis before you try any OTC treatments.
You should also talk with a doctor if you dont notice any improvement in your symptoms within 7 to 14 days. In this case, you may need a prescription-strength treatment, or you could have a different infection.
What Should I Do If I Have Frequent Yeast Infections
If you frequently have yeast infections, you should have a discussion with your healthcare provider. Your provider may:
- Test to confirm that you really have a vaginal yeast infection.
- Get a blood sugar test for diabetes.
- Test for HIV/AIDS.
- Discuss any possible hormonal changes .
Your healthcare provider will use your test results to make sure you are receiving the right treatment. It can be important to treat the underlying cause while treating your yeast infection. Controlling the reason for the infection can help prevent future vaginal yeast infections.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 10/26/2019.
Don’t Miss: Best Over The Counter Treatment For Penile Yeast Infection