What Can I Do To Help Relieve Symptoms Of A Staph Infection
Itâs important to seek medical help if you think you might have a staph infection. To relieve the symptoms of staph infection on your skin, clean the affected area with soap and water. You can try cold compresses and over-the-counter pain relievers to help with discomfort.
In cases of food poisoning, drink plenty of liquids while youâre recovering to reduce your risk of dehydration.
Massage and warm compresses can relieve the symptoms of mastitis.
Symptoms Of A Staph Infection
“The overall care I received was excellent! I also appreciate your affiliation with Yale New Haven Hospital.”
“Throughout the visit I felt like the staff really cared. The Doctor took his time talking with me about my symptoms, and I felt like he listened to all my concerns and took that into consideration when recommending the right treatment. Thank you!”
“I had to take my son in for an ear infection following a sudden change in temperament at daycare. He was inconsolable the entire car ride but when we got there and by the time we left this care facility he was back to his normal happy go lucky little two year old boy. I highly recommend PhysicianOne Urgent Care.”
“I wanted to take a moment to thank you for the attention you gave me last week. My son was started on antibiotics and ear drops. Within 24 hours he began to feel better. The poor kid had been going to school in tears because he was afraid of missing any more days, but feeling just awful! He’s not been able to even think about lacrosse practice, but thanks to starting him on antibiotics, he was thrilled to return to practice today.”
How Does A Doctor Treat A Staph Infection
In order to confirm that you have a staph infection of the skin, the doctor may need to test a tissue sample or nasal secretion for signs of the bacteria. If you do have a positive staph infection of the skin diagnosis, treatment options include:
- Oral antibiotics. This is the most common treatment method. However, staph bacteria can prove resistant to several antibiotics and in these instances an IV antibiotic may be used.
- Draining the wound by making an incision into the infected area to flush out the fluid.
- Antibiotic ointments
Recommended Reading: How To Prevent Hiv Infection
How Can I Prevent A Staph Infection
Prevention depends on the type of infection. To reduce your risk of a staph infection, you should follow these tips:
- Skin: To prevent a staph infection of the skin, you should practice good hygiene, keep cuts clean, and wash your hands and body often. Avoid sharing towels and personal items with others.
- Food poisoning: You can reduce your risk of food poisoning by handling food safely, ensuring that itâs cooked properly and refrigerating perishable food within two hours.
- Toxic shock syndrome: You should change tampons every four to eight hours and use tampons with the lowest effective absorbency.
- Mastitis: Breastfeeding people should try to empty the breast completely during every feeding. Whenever possible, let nipples air dry.
Staph Infections Can Kill
More prevention in healthcare & communities needed
Free Continuing Education on Vital Signs: Epidemiology and Recent Trends in Methicillin-Resistant and in Methicillin-Susceptible Staphylococcus aureus Bloodstream Infections United States available until May 23, 2020. Register for free on Medscape to access.
Nearly 1 in 10 serious staph infections in 2016 occurred in people who inject drugs such as opioids.
Also Check: Bentonite Clay For Tooth Infection
What Kills Staph Infections Naturally
There are some ânaturalâ things that have been used in the past to fight staph infections, like honey, essential oils, ginger, turmeric and garlic. Researchers are doing studies on these older antimicrobial agents . Interest in these substances is rising, in part because some germs have become resistant to some types of medications.
At this point in the research, though, itâs unwise to rely only on honey or garlic or anything of that nature for a cure. See your provider to make sure that youâre diagnosed and treated correctly.
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Youâve probably heard about staph infections. You may have already had one. While they arenât necessarily something to panic about, you do need to contact your healthcare provider if you have signs or symptoms of something being wrong. The most obvious staph infections are seen on the skin.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 06/07/2022.
Effects Of Staph Infections
Due to its diversity, staph infections can cause minor skin infections to major skin problems. Severe cases may lead to endocarditis which can cost you your life. Because of this, the signs and symptoms may also vary. Some of the things to consider include the location and the extent of the infection.
Recommended Reading: Natural Cure For Yeast Infection On Skin
What Are The Types Of Mrsa Infections
Two categories of MRSA are:
- Hospital-associated : HA-MRSA refers to MRSA infections that are associated with healthcare settings, such as hospitals and nursing homes.
- Community-associated : CA-MRSA infections are those that occur in people who have not had a recent hospitalization or other contact with the healthcare system.
What Will My Online Staph Infection Appointment Be Like
Appointments usually take between five to thirty minutes depending on the individual need. The online doctor will ask for a description of your symptoms. This will allow them to determine the best course of treatment. If necessary, they may recommend a follow-up appointment or a visit to a physical clinic.
Don’t Miss: Ear Infection Pain In Adults
What Questions Should I Ask My Doctor
You may want to ask your healthcare provider:
- What is the best treatment?
- What are treatment side effects?
- What should I do if I forget to take the medicine?
- What are signs of complications of the infection?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Many people carry Staph aureus or MRSA bacteria in their skin or noses for varying periods of time and never know it. This is not a problem. In some people, MRSA bacteria cause painful skin infections or more serious invasive infections. People in hospitals or nursing homes are at increased risk for MRSA infections. But you can pick up the bacteria in community settings, too. Contact your healthcare provider if you develop a skin infection or show signs of MRSA.
Risk Factors For Staph Infection
Anyone can develop a staph infection. People at higher risk for developing staph include:
- Children in daycare children can transfer infections between each other, children in daycare are exposed to more germs and have lower immunity built up to fight the infections.
- People with lowered immune systems if you have cancer, diabetes or other chronic conditions that lower your immune system, you are at higher risk for developing a staph infection.
- People who frequent communal environments locker rooms and shared bathrooms increase the risk of coming into contact with staph bacteria.
- Athletes athletes who participate in sports with skin-to-skin contact are more at risk for developing a staph infection.
- Healthcare workers or healthcare patients people who work in a healthcare environment or patients receiving care in a hospital or other facility are at greater risk of developing staph and complications from the infection.
Recommended Reading: Doterra Oils For Tooth Infection
What Parts Of Your Body Are Affected By Staph Infection
Different types of staph bacteria cause problems in various parts of your body. Staphylococcal infection can affect the:
- Skin: Most commonly, Staphylococcus aureus bacteria cause skin infection. This can produce boils, blisters, and redness on your skin. These infections can be anywhere on your body, including your face, often around your mouth and nose.
- Breasts/chest: Breastfeeding people can develop mastitis, which causes inflammation and abscesses in their breasts.
- Digestive system: If you eat something containing bacteria, you can get food poisoning, leading to vomiting and diarrhea.
- Bones: The bacteria can infect your bones, causing inflammation and pain. This infection is called osteomyelitis.
- Lungs and heart: If the bacteria get into your lungs, you can develop pneumonia and other breathing problems from the abscesses that can form. Staph bacteria can also damage the heart valves and lead to heart failure.
- Bloodstream: When bacteria release toxins into your body, a serious infection called can occur.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Staph Infection In The Body
When staph infections occur in areas of your body other than your skin, it causes certain conditions with different symptoms of their own. These conditions and their symptoms include:â
- Food poisoning: Symptoms can be severe and include vomiting and diarrhea.
- Mastitis: Occurs mostly in people who are breastfeeding, mastitis leads to inflammation, pain and abscesses.
- Staph bacteria in your bloodstream can cause blood poisoning, also called sepsis. Symptoms include fever and dangerously low blood pressure .
- Toxic shock syndrome: A severe form of septicemia, toxic shock syndrome symptoms include fever, muscle aches and a rash that looks like sunburn.
- Endocarditis: This infection of the lining of your heart muscle is often caused by staph infection. Your heart valves and actual heart muscle may also be affected. Symptoms include fever, sweating, weight loss and fast heart rate.
Also Check: Cefuroxime Axetil For Tooth Infection
How Is Staph Infection Diagnosed
The way your provider determines if you have a staph infection depends on what area of the body is affected. Itâs easy to see staph infections on your skin. However, providers often rely on Gram stain testing and bacterial culture tests to diagnose the presence of bacteria and the type.
- Skin: Usually, providers diagnose a staph infection on the skin by examining the affected area. Your provider may choose to take a sample of the skin to test for bacteria.
- Food poisoning: Your provider will ask you long youâve been ill and how bad the symptoms are. You may need to provide a stool sample.
- Mastitis: After considering your symptoms, your provider may send a sample of your milk to a lab to test for the presence of bacteria.
- Toxic shock syndrome: Your healthcare provider may take a urine or blood sample to check for bacteria. Sometimes, they will also order a CT scan to see if the infection affects your organs.
- Endocarditis: Your provider will base their diagnosis on symptoms, blood tests and an echocardiogram.
Infections Are No Joke
Staph bacteria are highly contagious and can spread easily from person to person. This is partly due to the fact that they are very resistant and can live on inanimate objects for long periods of time. For example, if someone with staph bacteria touches a towel, the bacteria can survive on that towel long enough to transfer to the next person who touches it.
It is possible for anyone to get a staph infection. Still, people with underlying health conditions,* such as diabetes or HIV/AIDS, are more susceptible. You can lower your risk of developing a staph infection by*:
- Washing your hands.
Read Also: Need Antibiotics For Tooth Infection
What Should I Know About Mrsa Treatments
Milder infections can be treated with oral antibiotics . More severe infections may require intravenous antibiotic treatment. It is very important to take all of the antibiotics exactly as your healthcare provider prescribes.
You should also call your provider if an infection doesnât start to clear up within a few days of taking a prescribed antibiotic. You may need to go to the hospital for stronger intravenous antibiotics.
What Are The Complications Associated With A Staph Infection
If left untreated, staph infections can be deadly. Rarely, staph germs are resistant to the antibiotics commonly used to treat them. This infection, called methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus , causes severe infection and death.
This is one reason that itâs important to take your entire prescription of antibiotics. One factor in creating resistance has been that people only take the medication until they feel better, which means that the germs arenât entirely gone.
Also Check: Is A Uti The Same Thing As A Bladder Infection
Staph Infection Treatment Available To Residents And Visitors Of Maui Hawaii
Receiving proper staph infection treatment from a medical professional in Maui, HI, is very important when you first contract the disease. Staph infections are often located on the skin or in the nose and are caused by bacteria growth. While most infected individuals will first notice the condition when their skin becomes tender, swollen, or red, the infection can quickly cause more debilitating symptoms, including nausea, fevers, boils, impetigo, cellulitis, and toxic shock syndrome if not treated promptly and correctly.
To receive expert staph infection treatment, turn to Urgent Care West Maui. Our medical center in Maui, Hawaii, is open 365 days a year and we can treat a variety of non-life threatening illnesses and injuries, including staph infections.* To treat the condition, our experienced and compassionate doctors will first provide a comprehensive examination and assess your infection carefully to determine the best plan of action to treat both the infection and its symptoms. Common treatment includes:
- Drainage of the infected area
- Topical or oral antibiotics
If the staph infection does not respond to any of the traditional treatment methods, we can also provide intravenous fluids or antibiotics as part of the many diagnostic services we offer at our center, so our patients do not have to travel elsewhere to receive the care they need. However, in some more serious cases, you may be referred out to a hospital for an incision, drainage surgery, or tissue cleaning.
Can You Go To Urgent Care For Dermatology
The short answer is yes, you can. The better question is whether you should.
Skin problems are ordinarily treated by a dermatologist, who specializes in evaluating and treating conditions affecting the skin, hair and nails. In most urgent care settings, the doctor will be able to diagnose a skin infection and may prescribe antibiotics and creams to treat the infection. Often, the patient is then referred to a dermatologist for follow-up care. It may be preferable to see a dermatologist directly, eliminating a long wait in an ER or urgent care medical practice. Even patients who go to their primary care physician may be immediately referred to a dermatologist.
Not all skin problems can be evaluated in an emergency room or urgent care facility. Generally, a trip to the ER or urgent care will not be necessary when you can schedule an appointment with a board-certified doctor dermatologist. Video Visits, where you see a dermatologist remotely using video conferencing platform, is an option for people to receive a diagnosis and plan of treatment without having to leave the house.
So, how do we define a serious skin infection?
You can get an infection any time the skin is broken, whether from a cut, scrape, puncture wound, piercing, tattoo, insect sting or bite.
Here are some common conditions that a dermatologist can diagnose quickly and treat effectively, perhaps sparing you a trip to the ER:
Read Also: Can You Fly With An Ear Infection
Poison Ivy Oak And Sumac
These three vine-like plants all contain the oil urushiol, which causes that notorious itching, blisters and redness. Your dermatologist may prescribe a steroid medication to combat the skin irritation. However, in rare cases of exposure to these toxic plants, people who experience trouble breathing, sudden swelling or a spreading rash across the body especially on the face should seek emergency care. Breathing problems often arise when the toxic plants are burned and the urushiol gets into the air, where it is inhaled, although people highly allergic to urushiol can develop breathing issues just from skin contact with the plants.
What Are The Symptoms Of Mrsa Infection
MRSA can cause a skin rash or infection that looks like a spider bite or pimples. The red, swollen bumps may feel warm and be tender to touch. The rash may ooze.
MRSA can also cause deeper infections in different parts of the body. In severe infections the bacterium may invade the bloodstream, a situation which would be called a bloodstream infection. Symptoms of bloodstream infection include fever and chills.
Recommended Reading: What Will The Er Do For Sinus Infection
Think You Might Be Suffering From A Staph Infection In Maui Hawaii Visit Urgent Care West Maui
Staph infections are no joke. Numerous visitors and residents alike in the Maui, Hawaii, area sustain a staph infection each year, and this infection can have uncomfortable and possibly serious symptoms. Staph infections often occur in the skin or in the nose and are caused by bacterial growth. The first signs of the infection are tenderness, redness, and swelling around the infected area. Yet, if not treated quickly, then worse symptoms can arise, including a fever, nausea, boils, cellulitis, impetigo, and toxic shock syndrome.
Staph Infection Care When You Need It Most
Think you might be suffering from a staph infection? If so, then visit the medical professionals at Urgent Care West Maui. Our state-of-the-art urgent care clinic is open 365 days a year during convenient and extended hours, and our physicians can treat virtually any non-life-threatening condition that might be ailing you.* We also do not require appointments, and our wait times are almost always minimal, allowing you to receive care when you need it the most.
Don’t Miss: Kidney Infection At Home Test
How Can I Prevent Mrsa Infections
You can lower your risk of getting MRSA by taking these steps:
- Keep wounds clean and bandaged.
- Donât share personal items like towels and razors.
- Place a towel on a locker room bench before sitting on it naked.
- Regularly wash sheets, towels and workout clothes in the recommended water temperature. Dry everything in a dryer. You donât need to use bleach or wash potentially contaminated items separately.
- Shower immediately after working out or participating in activities that increase your risk of MRSA exposure.
- Use disinfecting sprays that kill germs to wipe down high-touch areas like light switches, remote controls and athletic equipment. Check labels to find disinfectants that kill staph bacteria.
- Wash hands with hot water and soap for at least 20 seconds. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when hand-washing isnât possible.