What Drug Interactions Occur With Cipro Vs Flagyl
Cipro drug interactions
Flagyl drug interactions
- Alcohol should be avoided because metronidazole and alcohol together can cause severe nausea, vomiting, cramps, flushing, and headache.
- Metronidazole can increase the blood thinning effects of warfarin and increase the risk of bleeding probably by reducing the breakdown of warfarin.
- Cimetidine increases blood levels of metronidazole while cholestyramine reduces blood levels of metronidazole by reducing its absorption.
- Metronidazole should not be combined with amprenavir for treating human immunodeficiency disease because amprenavir contains propylene glycol.
- Metronidazole blocks the breakdown of propylene glycol in the liver leading to accumulation of propylene glycol in blood. Accumulation of propylene glycol could cause seizures, increased heart rate, and lead to kidney failure.
- Metronidazole increases the blood levels of carbamazepine , lithium and cyclosporine though unknown mechanisms. Serious reactions may occur if these drugs are taken with metronidazole.
What Are The Six Types Of Sinusitis And Sinus Infections
Sinusitis may be classified in several ways, based on its duration and the type of inflammation . The term rhinosinusitis is used to imply that both the nose and sinuses are involved and is becoming the preferred term over sinusitis.
- Acute sinus infection usually lasts less than 3-5 days.
- Subacute sinus infection lasts one to three months.
- Chronic sinus infection is greater than three months. Chronic sinusitis may be further sub-classified into chronic sinusitis with or without nasal polyps, or allergic fungal sinusitis.
- Recurrent sinusitis has several sinusitis attacks every year.
There is no medical consensus on the above time periods.
- Infected sinusitis usually is caused by an uncomplicated virus infection. Less frequently, bacterial growth causes sinus infection and fungal sinus infection is very infrequent. Subacute and chronic forms of a sinus infection usually are the result of incomplete treatment of an acute sinus infection.
- Noninfectious sinusitis is caused by irritants and allergic conditions and follows the same general timeline for acute, subacute, and chronic as infectious sinusitis.
Serious Side Effects And Complications
Levofloxacin use has been linked to tendonitis and tendon rupture. These adverse effects may include symptoms such as bruising, tearing, and an inability to move the tendon area. Tendinitis and tendon rupture are most commonly in the Achilles tendon located at the back of the ankle, although they can also be experienced in the shoulder, hands, and other tendon areas. People who are over the age of 60, taking corticosteroid drugs, or have a history of kidney, lung, or heart transplants may be at an increased risk of tendonitis or tendon rupture while taking levofloxacin.
Theres also a chance that levofloxacin can cause nerve damage in the arms, legs, hands, and feet, which manifests as pain, weakness, burning, tingling, or numbness. Central nervous system effects like seizures, lightheadedness, tremors, confusion, hallucinations, and severe headaches are possible serious side effects of levofloxacin.
Levofloxacin may cause serious heart problems, such as QT prolongation and torsades de pointes. These heart rhythm problems may be characterized by a fast or irregular heartbeat.
Some people who take levofloxacin may also experience a greater sensitivity to sunlight, leading to severe sunburn, blisters, and skin rashes after just a short time in the sun. While taking levofloxacin, avoid the sun if possible. If you are in the sun for a short period of time, wear sunscreen and clothes that cover the skin.
Recommended Reading: Common Prescription For Sinus Infection
The Page On Rxlist Cannot Be Found
It is possible that the page has been removed. Please use the search function above or the following links:
- Drugs A-Z List by drug brand and generic name.
- Pill Identifier Tool identify drugs and medications by imprint, color, or shape. Includes drug pictures.
- Picture Slideshows interactive medical slideshow on important medical topics.
- Image Gallery learn about skin disorder, medical anatomy, tumors and more through images and illustrations .
- Latest Drug News WebMD & FDA Updates and news releases on prescription medications and drug manufacturing/distribution.
- Diseases, Condition and Tests The RxList disease and condition listing contains explanations of many diseases, conditions, medical procedures and tests.
- Drug Medical Dictionary definitions and explanations of many medical terms including prescription medication abbreviations.
Metronidazole For Sinus Infection Is This Okay
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
HealthTap doctors are based in the U.S., board certified, and available by text or video.
Recommended Reading: Does Azo Help With Yeast Infections
What Are Complications Of A Sinus Infection Or Sinusitis
While serious complications do not occur frequently, it is possible for a sinus infection to cause a direct extension of infection into the brain through a sinus wall, creating a life-threatening emergency .
In addition, other adjacent structures can become infected and develop problems, such as osteomyelitis of bones in the skull and infection around the eye . Rarely, these infections may cause death. The most susceptible individuals to complications are patients with suppressed immune systems, diabetes, and relatively rarely from multiple trauma injuries that may occur in natural disasters.
How Should This Medicine Be Used
Clindamycin comes as a capsule and a solution to take by mouth. It is usually taken three to four times a day. The length of your treatment depends on the type of infection you have and how well you respond to the medication. Take clindamycin at around the same times every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take clindamycin exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Shake the liquid well before each use to mix the medication evenly.
Take the capsules with a full glass of water so that the medication will not irritate your throat.
You should begin to feel better during the first few days of treatment with clindamycin. If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
Take clindamycin until you finish the prescription, even if you feel better. If you stop taking clindamycin too soon or skip doses, your infection may not be completely treated and the bacteria may become resistant to antibiotics.
You May Like: Yeast Infection On Mouth Lips
Read Also: Will Nasacort Help Sinus Infection
Things To Know About A Sinus Infection
- Sinusitis or sinus infection is inflammation of the air cavities within the passages of the nose.
- Sinusitis can be caused by infection, allergies, and chemical or particulate irritation of the sinuses.
- The fastest way to get rid of a sinus infection can include medications, home remedies, alternative therapies, and surgery.
- Most people do not spread sinus infections to other people.
- Sinusitis may be classified as acute sinus infection, subacute sinus infection, chronic sinus infection, infected sinusitis, and noninfectious sinusitis.
- Sinusitis signs and symptoms include
- cloudy discolored nasal or postnasal drainage,
- the feeling of nasal stuffiness,
Which Types Of Doctors Treat Sinusitis And Sinus Infections
- Many sinus infections can be treated by your primary care physician or an Internal Medicine doctor.
- However, it is not unusual to consult an ENT specialist, infectious disease specialist, or an allergist or immunologist.
- With some complex sinus infections, a surgeon who specializes in sinus surgery may be necessary to consult.
You May Like: Can I Get A Sexually Transmitted Infection In 10 Seconds
What Other Information Should I Know
Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your doctor will order certain lab tests to check your response to metronidazole.
Before having any laboratory test, tell your doctor and the laboratory personnel that you are taking metronidazole.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Your prescription is probably not refillable. If you still have symptoms of infection after you finish the metronidazole, call your doctor.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.
What Are The Side Effects Of Cirpo Vs Flagyl
Cipro side effects
Cipro and Cipro XR as well as other antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics has been associated with tendonitis and even tendon rupture, particularly the Achilles tendon. Some doctors and other medical professionals recommend that their patients discontinue vigorous exercise while they are taking fluoroquinolone antibiotics.
Fluoroquinolones have neuromuscular blocking activity and can worsen muscle weakness in individuals with myasthenia gravis.
The most common side effects of Cipro, Cipro XR are:
Other serious side effects and adverse events of Cipro, Cipro XR include:
- Cipro, Cipro XR should be used with caution in patients with central nervous system diseases such as seizures, because rare seizures have been reported in patients receiving Cipro, Cipro XR.
- Cipro, Cipro XR should be avoided in children and adolescents less than 18 years of age, as safe use in these patients has not been established.
- Many antibiotics, including Cipro, Cipro XR, can alter the normal bacteria in the colon and encourage overgrowth of a bacterium responsible for the development of inflammation of the colon, . Patients who develop signs of pseudomembranous colitis after starting Cipro, Cipro XR should contact their doctor immediately.
Read Also: Get Rid Of Male Yeast Infection
How To Treat A Sinus Infection Without Antibiotics
Before you consider antibiotics, a sinus infection can be treated without leaving at home. Some of the home remedies to treat a sinus infection without antibiotics include:
Is It Possible To Prevent Sinus Infections Or Sinusitis
Currently, there are no vaccines designed specifically against infectious sinusitis or sinus infections. However, there are vaccines against viruses and bacteria that may cause some infectious sinusitis. Vaccination against pathogens known to cause infectious sinusitis may indirectly reduce or prevent the chance of getting the disease however, no specific studies support this assumption. Fungal vaccines against sinusitis are not available, currently.
If you are prone to recurrent bouts of a “yearly sinus infection” it may be important to consider allergy testing to see if this is the underlying cause of the recurring problem. Treatment of the allergy may prevent secondary bacterial sinus infections. In addition, sinus infections may be due to other problems such as nasal polyps, tumors, or diseases that obstruct normal mucus flow. Treatment of these underlying causes may prevent recurrent sinus infections.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Recommended Reading: Can Minocycline Treat Tooth Infection
What Is Levofloxacin Used For
Theres many different types of bacteria, and levofloxacin is effective against many of them, including E. coli, S. aureus, and S. pneumoniae. Levofloxacin, in addition to moxifloxacin and gemifloxacin, is commonly called a respiratory fluoroquinolone because of its efficacy against S. pneumoniae, a bacteria that attacks the lungs and airways.
Levofloxacin is often prescribed to treat:
- Sinus infections
Levofloxacin is also approved to treat plague, post-exposure anthrax, and bacterial infections of the eye. Plus, it has shown effectiveness in treating certain sexually transmitted diseases, specifically chlamydia.
Levofloxacin may cause serious side effects and should only be reserved for certain conditions, such as sinusitis, bronchitis, and uncomplicated urinary tract infections, when there are no alternative treatment options available.
RELATED: What is levofloxacin?
What Is A Sinus Infection Or Sinusitis
Inflammation of the air cavities within the passages of the nose is referred to as sinusitis. Sinusitis can be caused by infection , but also can be caused by allergy and chemical irritation of the sinuses. A sinus infection occurs when a virus, bacterium, or fungus grows within a sinus.
- Sinusitis is one of the more common conditions that can afflict people throughout their lives.
- Sinusitis commonly occurs when environmental pollens irritate the nasal passages, such as with hay fever.
- Sinusitis can also result from irritants, such as chemicals or the use and/or abuse of over-the-counter nasal sprays, and
- illegal substances that may be snorted or inhaled through the nose.
About 30 million adults have “sinusitis.” Colds differ from sinusitis and are only caused by viruses and last about seven to 10 days while sinusitis may have many different causes , and usually last longer with more pronounced and variable symptoms.
You May Like: Amoxicillin And Clavulanate Potassium For Tooth Infection
Lets Get An Insight Into The Various Antibiotics That Are Prescribed For Pilonidal Sinus:
- Metronidazole: Metronidazole is a medicine that has been used as an antibiotic for decades. It effectively stops the growth of bacteria and protozoa in the cyst. Metronidazole is available in capsule form, tablet form as well as topical form.The dosage of Metronidazole depends upon the severity of the pilonidal cyst or sinus. If you are taking the medicine orally, you should take it with food or with a full glass of water or milk to avoid stomach upset. Metronidazole is effective against a variety of infections and thus will bring significant relief from the condition of pilonidal sinus.
- Erythromycin: It is the most common antiobiotic that doctors prescribe for treating pilonidal sinus. It is also popular for treating of a variety of infections. It slows down the growth of bacteria. Erythromycin can also kill sensitive bacteria as it reduces the production of proteins that the bacteria need to survive. Erythromycin is available in oral, topical as well as intravenous forms.The dosage will depend upon you condition and your response to the medicine. Erythromycin works best when it is taken empty stomach. Try to take the medicine before meals. In case nausea occurs, you can take it with food or milk.
Along with these antibiotics, your doctor may also prescribe certain anti-inflammatory drugs that will help in relieving the pain and subsiding the swelling of the cyst. These include medicines like acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
Approved Uses For Cipro
Cipro is FDA-approved for treating many different types of infections in adults. Examples of these FDA-approved uses include:
- Abdominal infections such as:
Less common FDA-approved uses include:
Cipro XR extended-release tablets are only approved for treating urinary tract infections .
Although Cipro is effective, the FDA has recommended that Cipro and other fluoroquinolone antibiotics should not be used as a first-choice antibiotic for certain infections, such as:
- sinus infections
- urinary tract infections
For these conditions, the risk of serious side effects caused by Cipro outweigh the benefits. Other antibiotics should be used as a first choice.
Recommended Reading: Chinese Medicine For Ear Infection
What Tests Diagnose The Cause Of Sinus Infections And Sinusitis
Sinus infection is most often diagnosed based on the history and examination of a doctor. Because plain X-ray studies of the sinuses may be misleading and procedures such as CT and MRI scans, which are much more sensitive in their ability to diagnose a sinus infection, are so expensive and not available in most doctors’ offices, most sinus infections are initially diagnosed and treated based on clinical findings on examination. These physical findings may include
- redness and swelling of the nasal passages,
- purulent drainage from the nasal passages ,
- tenderness to percussion over the cheeks or forehead region of the sinuses, and
- swelling about the eyes and cheeks.
Occasionally, nasal secretions are examined for secreted cells that may help differentiate between infectious and allergic sinusitis. Infectious sinusitis may show specialized cells of infection while allergic sinusitis may show specialized white blood cells of allergy . Physicians prescribe antibiotics if a bacterial infection is suspected. Antibiotics are not effective against viral infections many physicians then treat the symptoms.
In addition, both rigid and flexible endoscopy has been used to obtain diagnostic material from sinuses. These procedures are usually done by an otolaryngologist under topical and local anesthesia. Occasionally, there may be a need to sedate the patient. Some investigators suggest that endoscopy specimens are comparable to those obtained by needle puncture.
What Are The Side Effects Of Levofloxacin
Levofloxacin is a powerful antibiotic that may cause some side effects. However, people who follow a healthcare professionals medical advice and report any concerns immediately are unlikely to experience serious side effects. Levofloxacins most common side effects include the following:
- Trouble sleeping
These types of side effects frequently appear on labels for a wide variety of medications. But, unfortunately, other side effects are possible. In the past few years, levofloxacin has been under the media microscope for some of its rarer, more severe side effects.
Recommended Reading: Ww928 Pill For Tooth Infection