How To Use Prednisone
If you have been prescribed oral Prednisone, you should take it with milk or food to prevent bloating or stomach upset. Take oral Prednisone with a glass of water, unless your doctor says otherwise. If you are taking Prednisone syrup, you should use a special measuring spoon to carefully measure its dose. Using a kitchen spoon may not measure the correct amount. If you need to take only one dose a day, we recommend taking it in the morning, since it may disturb sleep.
Take your Prednisone dosage exactly as instructed by your physician. Follow the schedule and dosage amount carefully. The dosage of the medicine and the length of your treatment largely depends on your: individual medical condition, the severity of your disease and your response to the treatment.
You should never stop taking Prednisone unless your doctor advises you to do so. If you suddenly stop taking this medicine without medical advice, in some cases, your conditions may worsen. You may also start experiencing symptoms such as: weakness, nausea, weight loss, headaches, dizziness, tiredness, muscle pain etc. In order to prevent such symptoms, your doctor will advise you to reduce the dosage slowly. If you develop any new symptoms during this time, you should let your doctor know immediately.
When Is Treatment With Antibiotics Necessary For An Ear Infection
If your child is in a lot of pain, and the symptoms last more than a few days, your pediatrician will likely recommend a round of antibiotics. According to the AAFP, here are some of the circumstances where antibiotics are likely to be prescribed for an ear infection:
- Infants six months or younger.
- Babies ages six months to two years, who have moderate to severe ear pain.
- Children 2 years or older who have a fever of 102.2 or higher.
- Children with another condition that could make an infection harder to heal, including cleft palate, Down syndrome, immune disorders and cochlear implants.
How To Choose A Product
Its important to choose a high-quality olive oil if youre using it for medicinal purposes. When choosing an olive oil, look for extra virgin olive oil. This type of olive oil isnt chemically processed, .
You can also purchase olive oilbased herbal ear drops. These contain extracts from medicinal plants, such as garlic, that might provide added benefits. You can purchase these drops on .
Also Check: Can You Die From An Ear Infection
How Do I Use It
While theres no clear evidence about the effectiveness of olive oil on its own for common ear problems, its also not associated with any serious health consequences, so you can still try it to see for yourself.
To apply drops to your ear, use a glass dropper or you can dip a cotton swab in olive oil and allow the excess to drip into your ear. Dont put the cotton swab or any other object in your ear.
You can use room-temperature olive oil, though some people prefer to warm it up in a pan over low heat. Make sure to test the temperature on your skin first. The oil should be just slightly warm, not hot.
Follow these instructions to safely apply olive oil to your ears at home:
Tailor the application to your need, and contact your doctor if you arent seeing the desired results:
How Are Ear Infections Treated
To treat an ear infection, health care providers consider many things, including:
- the type and severity of the ear infection
- how often the child has ear infections
- how long this infection has lasted
- the child’s age and any risk factors
- whether the infection affects hearing
The type of otitis affects treatment options. Not all kinds need to be treated with antibiotics. Because most ear infections can clear on their own, many doctors take a “wait-and-see” approach. Kids will get medicine for pain relief without antibiotics for a few days to see if the infection gets better.
Antibiotics aren’t routinely prescribed because they:
- won’t help an infection caused by a virus
- won’t get rid of middle ear fluid
- can cause side effects
- usually don’t relieve pain in the first 24 hours and have only a minimal effect after that
Also, overuse of antibiotics can lead to antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which are much harder to treat.
If a doctor does prescribe antibiotics, a 10-day course is usually recommended. Kids age 6 and older who don’t have a severe infection might take a shortened course for 5 to 7 days.
Some children, such as those with recurrent infections and those with lasting hearing loss or speech delay, may need ear tube surgery. An ear, nose, and throat doctor will surgically insert tubes that let fluid drain from the middle ear. This helps equalize the pressure in the ear.
Read Also: Medicine To Treat Yeast Infection
Test 2 The Craving Test
Become more aware of what you eat, but particularly what you LIKE to eat, how often and when. Those with yeast and especially a fungal overgrowth may well crave sweet foods without even knowing it. Do you want something sweet routinely after your evening meal? Do you want something sweet between meals? We could be looking at breads biscuits . It never ceases to amaze me how many people I speak to love sweet stuff and yet say to me But I dont eat any sugar! or Ill hear: I dont have sugar in my coffee or tea but then an hour later they have a muffin, a cookie, a muesli bar or a fruit drink which all contain sugar. When a person tells me that they like the taste of a food or a drink, they generally mean the sweetness.
These folk may even have a glass of wine each night yet they dont have any added sugar in their diet. At the turn of the last century, around 1900, the average person consumed less than one kilo of sugar in one year. And today the average person eats twice their bodyweight in sugar. Is it any wonder we have bugs in our digestive systems when we are busily feeding these bugs up several times daily?
The craving test may make a real candida sufferer feel terrible, they may literally feel like climbing the wall to get to their sugar fix on the other side, and the stronger the craving and withdrawal, the bigger the problem and the more need for self-restraint with the offending food or drink will be required.
You May Like: Can You Get Antibiotics For A Viral Infection
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- How can I keep my child comfortable at night with the pain of an ear infection?
- Is there drainage with an ear infection?
- What is the difference between an ear infection and swimmers ear?
- Is my child a candidate for ear tubes?
- What are the risks and benefits of surgically inserting tubes inside my childs middle ear?
- Should my child get regular hearing tests if they have frequent ear infections?
Recommended Reading: Diflucan 1 Dose Yeast Infection
Perform The Valsalva Maneuver
This method can also help open closed eustachian tubes. Be careful not to blow too hard. This can damage your ear drum.
What Are The Treatments For Ear Infections
If your pediatrician recommends antibiotics, shell usually start with amoxicillin, an effective and safe antibiotic for bacterial infections that is one of the most commonly prescribed for young children. Whether or not your doctor opts for antibiotics or a watch-and-wait approach, rest and fluids are key as with any childhood respiratory infection or virus.
For pain relief at home, your pediatrician will usually recommend Acetaminophen for babies under 6 months and Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen for children 6 months and older. Remember that according to the CDC, over-the-counter cough medicines should not be given to children under 4 and should only be given to older children with your doctors approval. Recent research has shown that the negatives of these OTC medicines often outweigh any benefits.
Don’t Miss: Can A Uti Lead To A Yeast Infection
Five Tips For Ear Infection Treatment At Home
Even when antibiotics are prescribed, they wont take effect for 24 to 48 hours. Your child need not suffer needlessly. There are simple, effective ways to reduce your childs discomfort and pain during an ear infection.
1. Fever and pain medicine: based it on age, consult with doctor
Over-the-counter medications can help reduce pain and fever in your child. Based it on age and weight and consult with your pediatrician if necessary.
Read labels and instructions carefully when giving fever-reducing medications. Its very important to follow instructions and give the appropriate dosage according to your childs weight and age, says Dr. Hutton.
- For children younger than 6 months, give only acetaminophen, such as Tylenol.
- For children older than 6 months, you may give also give an ibuprofen product, such as Advil, for fever and pain.
- Infants younger than 3 months old who have a fever need immediate medical attention even if they appear well and show no other signs of being ill.
- Do not give aspirin to children because it can cause Reyes syndrome, a rare but very serious illness that harms the liver and brain, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention .
2. Place a cold pack or warm compress over your childs ear
Put a cold wet washcloth on the outer ear for 20 minutes to help with pain until the pain medicine starts to work.
3. Keep child hydrated
Make sure to keep your child well hydrated. Give lots of cold fluids.
4. Elevate your childs head
Facts About Ear Problems
Ear problems can be excruciatingly painful, especially in children. With 10 million new cases every year, ear infections are the most common illness affecting babies and young children. It is the number one reason for visits to the pediatricianaccounting for more than 35 percent of all pediatric visits. Almost half of all children will have at least one middle ear infection before theyre a year old, and two-thirds of them will have had at least one such infection by age 3. Frequent ear infections are also the second most common reason for surgery in children under 2.
Ear infection is obviously a big problem. Many parents struggle with making decisions about the safest and best treatments for their children. Rest assured, an ear infection acute or chronic can be treated safely without drugs or surgery!
Read Also: Is Yellow Snot A Sinus Infection
How I Treat Ear Infections Naturally In My Home
The first thing I do when I suspect an ear infection is grab the hydrogen peroxide.
For the first and second days, I administer peroxide up to four times daily.
I also rub lavender oil behind the ear and down the neck to provide pain relief since we dont have over-the-counter pain killers in our house.
If my child isnt back to her old self by the end of the second day, I call the chiropractor and schedule an adjustment for the third day.
I still continue the peroxide 3 or 4 times a day.
If Im on the third or fourth day of the infection and it shows no sign of improvement at all, Ill pull out the garlic oil and colloidal silver and alternate them, while still using essential oils for pain relief.
Ear infections are VERY rare in our family, but this is the protocol Ive used each time and neither of my kids have taken an antibiotic in over 10 years.
These 5 natural home remedies for ear infection work quickly for adults and children! I hope youll feel empowered to reduce antibiotic use in your home and give some of these remedies a try next time youre faced with an ear infection!
Cost Of Treating An Ear Infection Without Insurance
Swimmerâs ear and middle ear infections are two common types of ear infections. Since these infections occur in different parts of the ear, they require different treatments and times for recovery. Treatment for an ear infection depends on a few factors, including the type of infection, the severity of the infection, and the number of times you have experienced an ear infection. Symptoms of ear infections usually improve within the first couple of days and can sometimes be resolved without treatment.
If your condition worsens, you should consider taking over-the-counter medication or seeing a health care provider. Some of the best-recommended medications for treating an ear infection or the pain associated with it include:
- Tylenol and Motrin for pain-relievers
- Amoxicillin for oral antibiotics
- Ofloxacin .3 percent ear drop for middle ear infections
- Antipyrine and benzocaine otic drops for anesthetic ear drops
Note that your health care provider will be able to advise which medication is best for you.
Read Also: One Day Otc Yeast Infection Treatment
Ear Infections: Treatment Without Antibiotics
In many cases, ear infections should be allowed to run their course while managing pain, says a pediatrician at MassGeneral Hospital for Children.
Ear infections are one of the top reasons young children are brought to the doctor’s office.
As a pediatrician, I have spent a lot of time diagnosing ear infections, one of the most common illnesses of early childhood. Ear infections can make toddlers extremely irritable and cause babies to cry all night, which is why parents turn to their pediatrician for help.
My approach to treat these infections is not to prescribe antibiotics for every case, based on updated recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics. I ask parents to hold off on antibiotics if the child is older than age 2, is not seriously ill, and has no history of ear problems or medical complications.
How To Get Rid Of Ear Infection
While some cases require medical attention, most ear infections clear on their own. Rest and some home remedies will usually do the trick.
1. Holding a Warm Piece of Cloth over the Ear
Applying a warm compress relieves pain. You can do this in the following ways:
- Dip a piece of cloth in warm water, drain and hold it over the affected ear.
- Microwave a clean sock filled with either rice or beans for about 25 seconds and hold it on the ear.
- Alternatively, do the same with one cup of salt. Heat some salt and put it in a bean bag. Place it on the infected ear while lying down making sure that the temperature is not too high to make you uncomfortable. The heated salt will draw out any fluid from the infected ear and subsequently reduce pain and swelling.
- Do this for 10-15 minutes every day until the pain subsides.
Garlic is an effective natural remedy for ear infection. It has antimicrobial and antiviral properties. You can use garlic in any of the following ways:
- Start by eating one or two cloves of fresh garlic every day to boost immunity and fight the infection.
- Crush a few cloves of boiled cloves add some salt before placing them in a clean piece of cloth and putting it on the affected ear.
- Fry some cloves of garlic in mustard oil until they are dark. Strain and leave to cool before putting a few drops into the affected ear using a dropper.
3. Olive Oil
You may substitute white vinegar for ACV if thats what you have.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Don’t Miss: Fastest Way To Cure A Bladder Infection
When Should I Call The Doctor
Very rarely, ear infections that dont go away or severe repeated middle ear infections can lead to complications. So kids with an earache or a sense of fullness in the ear, especially when combined with fever, should be seen by their doctors if they arent getting better after a couple of days.
What Are The Best Home Remedies For Ear Infections
Since watchful waiting is a fairly common approach to treating ear infections, home remedies are popular for treating this common condition. There are many different sworn methods out there for treating everything from the earache or ear pain to the infection itself. However, it is important to remember that if untreated by a medical professional, some ear infections can result in a worsening condition such as a ruptured eardrum or hearing loss. Some of the commonly used home remedies for ear infections include:
- Cold or warm compress: Using a cold or warm compress on the affected ear can help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain. Patients may notice more success by alternating between both a cold compress and warm compress every 10 minutes or so. However, simply using one or the other should make some difference in the condition.
- Changes to sleep positions: Some ear infections are made worse by sleeping in a way that irritates the affected ear. By sleeping with the infected ear raised instead of down it can help relieve pressure and may allow it to drain more easily or prevent fluid buildup.
- Olive oil: While it is an older remedy, olive oil is said to have some soothing properties. It is used by putting just a few warmed drops in the patients ear. It may have some soothing benefits. However, given that it isnt a studied treatment for ear infections it might be a better option to use in combination with other home remedies.
Recommended Reading: Can You Give A Guy A Yeast Infection