Coconut Oil: Home Remedy For Dog Tooth Infections
One of the best home remedies to prevent tooth decay as well as bring relief to a dogâs tooth infection comes in the form of coconut oil. Besides being anti-inflammatory to help reduce pain, it is also antimicrobial to get rid of problem-causing bacteria and it also helps to harden tooth enamel.
What to do:
- Simply dip a fine bristled toothbrush in coconut oil and gently brush your dogâs teeth.
- You can also mix 1 part baking soda and 1 part coconut oil to make more of a paste.
- Add a little powdered cinnamon to give it a little boost if you like.
- Brush your dogâs teeth a minimum of 3 to 4 times weekly, but daily will offer the best results.
What Is A Tooth Infection
Tooth infections are usually caused by bacteria, which means treatment will likely involve antibiotics. Here, well learn all about tooth infections and the best antibiotic to treat a tooth infection.
We all have bacteria in our mouths, which cover our teeth, tongue, and other tissues. This is normal. But infection can happen when bacteria grow into the inside of the tooth, gums, or other spaces in the mouth. It can be caused by poor dental hygiene, which leads to plaque buildup and cavities. Infection can also be caused by injury to the tooth or dental procedures.
Recommended Reading: Infection Control Manual For Assisted Living Facilities
How To Prevent Dental Abscesses
Preventing dental abscesses involves good dental care and oral hygiene. To prevent tooth and periodontal abscesses:
- Brush your teeth at least twice every day with a remineralizing toothpaste like RiseWell to support remineralization and prevent cavities.
- Use an electric toothbrush if you can. Sonic toothbrushes are best for gum disease.
- Floss every day. Flossing with a piece of knotted floss can dislodge food from between teeth that could otherwise lead to concentrated areas of bacteria.
- Dont skip dental checkups. These 6-month teeth cleanings are important for removing plaque and tartar buildup as well as spotting tooth decay or signs of gum disease before they lead to an abscess. If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease, be sure to keep up with your quarterly scaling & root planing appointments.
Don’t Miss: Why Are Diabetics At Risk For Infection
Stages Of A Tooth Abscess
1. It starts off as an abscess in the bone of the tooth.
2. Then a small pimple forms on the gums, which we call a parulis or a gum boil.
3. If the pimple on the gums is left untreated, your face may start swelling.
Symptoms of a tooth abscess
The symptoms of a tooth abscess are easy to recognize because it will show up as a pimple on your gums or your face will swell up. Whether or not you can use a home remedy for the tooth infection will depend on which stage it is at.
Kefir: Easy Home Remedie For Dog Tooth Infections
In order to help fight off dog tooth infections, among the best home remedies is serving the fermented dairy product, kefir, to your dog on a regular basis. The high amount of phosphorus and B complex vitamins found in kefir not only strengthens teeth and gums but are also necessary for rapid wound healing. Additionally, kefir is a rich source of good bacteria to help enhance your dogâs digestion.
What to do:
- Mix 1 tsp of honey and a little cinnamon in a glass of kefir and feed it to your dog at least 3 times per week.
Don’t Miss: Can Sinus Infection Heal On Its Own
Facial Swelling From A Tooth Infection
Swelling of the face may occur a few days after an untreated gum boil appears or it may take longer. It all depends on how well your body can naturally fight the infection and if you are using any home remedies to slow down the infection.
Treatment of facial swelling will require a visit to the dentist, which includes draining the abscess under local anesthesia and also taking prescribed antibiotics. There is no way to avoid antibiotics when your face swells up because home remedies are not potent enough to clear a tooth infection of that size.
Draining a tooth abscess of this size is usually a very painful procedure even with local anesthesia so our dentists in long island city do not recommend letting it get to this stage. Please see a dentist as soon as the gum boil stage of the abscess is reached!
Will A Tooth Infection Go Away On Its Own
A tooth infection will not go away on its own. Your toothache may stop if an infection causes the pulp inside your tooth to die. The pain stops because the nerve isnt functioning anymore, so you may not be able to feel it. However, the bacteria will continue to spread and destroy surrounding tissue. If you have tooth infection symptoms, see your dentist even if you no longer have pain.
You May Like: Anti Inflammatory For Ear Infection
How Is An Infected Wisdom Tooth Diagnosed
dentists diagnose pericoronitis by carefully examining your wisdom teeth and checking for visual signs and symptoms of pericoronitis. In general, this means checking whether the gums are inflamed, red or swollen, or leaking pus. They will also look to see if a gum flap is present in the area.
They may also take an X-ray to determine the alignment of the wisdom teeth and to rule out other possible causes for your discomfort such as tooth decay. Once dentists have diagnosed pericoronitis, a treatment plan will be tailored to your individual needs.
An infected wisdom tooth can be difficult to treat if there is a gum flap present since the problem wont go away until the tooth breaks through or the tissue or tooth is removed.
Can An Abscess In The Mouth Kill You
The percentage of people who died due to a dental abscess is really low at the same time, an explanation is required.
The tooth abscess is not the direct cause of death but the infection at the base of the dental pathology could.
In 2007 a 12 y. o. guy from Maryland died because bacteria from an abscess infected his brain.
So yes, if you feel tooth pain caused by infection, the infection itself can be deadly if leaved untreated.
Read Also: Will Vagisil Cure Yeast Infection
What Are The Symptoms Of A Tooth Infection
If your tooth is infected, your pain may be:
- Gnawing or throbbing.
- Continuous or only when chewing.
- Radiating to the jawbone, neck or ear.
Other oral symptoms of infection include:
- Tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures.
- Bitter taste in the mouth.
- Foul-smelling breath.
- Swollen area in the upper or lower jaw.
- Open, draining sore on the side of the gum.
In addition, you may experience more generalized symptoms like:
Baking Soda Mouth Rinse
Baking soda is another effective home remedy to help remove and kill plaque in your mouth. Since most bacteria in your mouth thrive in acidic conditions, they cannot breed in an alkaline environment. Baking soda can disrupt biofilms and help kill most bacteria by increasing the pH in your mouth. To apply, make a paste of baking soda and water. Then, apply the paste directly to your gums. You can also do mouth rinses with the water and baking soda solution.
Read Also: Sinus Infection Lower Tooth Pain
How Much Is Abscess Removal Cost
The price for dentistry procedures can easily scare patients because we all know that dentists are expensive especially for people without insurance.
So what is the dental abscess removal cost in the US ? A quick answer is: $700 to $5,500 !
I think you are asking yourself why so much difference. The point is that, as seen above in this article, abscess treatments are different and it depends on which one is the best to solve your case.
The most affordable price is related to the initial visit, x-ray exam to get the clinical picture and the cure of the cavity that caused the infection.
If that is not enough the doctor has to go with the root canal treatment to get rid the bacteria from the dental root and preserve the tooth. This is the case where the abscess removal cost will be the most expensive because you also need a prosthetic crown in place of the natural one.
Manuka Honey Or Natural Honey:
Honey from bees as a natural product has different uses in modern diet however, due to their anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibiotic properties, honey is sometimes applied on the wound, and in oral health on the site where the infection occurs. Honey prevents bacteria from sticking to the skin or creating the biofilm that colonizes and cause infection.
In its pure form, it is essential for good oral health since the wide variety of natural components helps fight bacteria. It is an excellent natural antibiotic with great anti-inflammatory capacity.
Herbal Tea or Fenugreek:
Herbal infusions or medicinal grade teas contain high concentrations of the herbs and therefore enhance their anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Additionally, there is Fenugreek tea, commonly known to relieve symptoms of dental infection. Another tea is the so-called goldenseal associated with turmeric it has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antibiotic properties that can treat a dental infection.
Vinegar or apple cider :
Whiskey Vodka Or Pure Alcohol Rinse
Rinse your mouth with whiskey or pure alcohol. This is a grannys abscess remedy indicated to relieve the pain caused by tooth infection. Alcohol acts its anesthetic and antibacterial effect, relieves pain and partly removes bacteria. Alcohol should not be swallowed, rather hold it in the mouth for 30 seconds, then spit it out. Many doctors are against this remedy for the irritating effect of alcohol on the oral mucosa.
Colloidal Silver For A Proven Tooth Abscess Treatment
Colloidal silver is an effective tooth abscess home remedy. It can be used either locally or internally.For the topical use you can choose from:
- Rinse the mouth with a tablespoon of this type of silver for 4 to 6 min every 5 hours or more frequently in case of severe pain.
- Spray: you should apply it directly to the painful zone
- Abscess plug: put a small amount of CS on a gauze and apply it to the tooth or swelling that causes pain.
You May Like: How To Fix A Tooth Infection
Symptoms Of An Untreated Tooth Abscess
Most people suffering from tooth abscess cant really pinpoint the exact tooth that hurt as the entire area feels like a fire burning, but with a visit to a dentist, the tooth is easily noticed in an X-ray. When you cant chew, biting or sleep well because of a pain in your jaw or is suffering from one of the following, it is definitely a tooth abscess
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks
- Increase in body temperature or a headache on one side of your head
- Swelling on the side of the cheek where the tooth abscess is located
- Swollen gum and redness in the spot with the abscess
- Bad smell emitting from the affected tooth
Cure Dog Tooth Infections With Ceylon Cinnamon
There are a ton of great properties to help with dog tooth infections present in Ceylon cinnamon, making it an excellent home remedy to keep on hand. It is a mild anesthetic that also helps to dissolve food particles stuck between teeth. Ceylon cinnamon is anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antiseptic to boot.
What to do:
- You can mix 1/8 tsp per day for small dogs, Â¼ tsp per day for medium dogs, and Â½ tsp per day of Ceylon cinnamon for larger dogs in their food.
- Ceylon cinnamon essential oil can be substituted for powdered cinnamon at the dosage of 2 drops, 4 drops and 6 drops respectively.
- You can also mix Ceylon cinnamon into baking powder for brushing.
Don’t Miss: Best Tea For Tooth Infection
The Stages Of A Tooth Abscess
A tooth abscess starts local to the tooth and surrounding gum area. The abscess may rupture but you will still need to see your dentist for treatment.
The abscess could spread to the jaw and surrounding areas of your head and neck. You may have a swollen face, or your eye may swell shut. If left untreated, you may even develop sepsis a life-threatening infection that spreads throughout your whole body.
When To Call A Dentist
A tooth infection happens when bacteria get into the tooth through a cavity, a chip, or a crack. Infections in the teeth can spread to other teeth, your jaw, or your gums. If a tooth infection is left untreated, it can have serious health consequences, so its important that you see a dentist to treat it promptly if you have the symptoms of a tooth infection.
Natural remedies can help you manage the symptoms of a tooth infection but you still need to see a dentist about the infection. The dentist can take X-rays to determine if you need a root canal and see how bad the damage from the infection is. You may also need a course of antibiotics. You should call a dentist as soon as you suspect that you have an infected tooth.
Read Also: Best Topical For Yeast Infection
Cure Dog Tooth Infections With Oil Of Oregano
Also among the effective essential oils for treating dog tooth infections is the oil of oregano. This powerful herb has antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties as well. It is a great home remedy to help relieve the discomfort of a tooth infection.
What to do:
- Blend 2 to 3 drops of oil of oregano in 2 tsp of coconut oil and mix thoroughly.
- Utilize a cotton swab to rub on your dogs gums 2 to 3 times daily until the infection is gone.
How Is An Abscessed Tooth Diagnosed
In addition to examining the tooth and surrounding tissue for signs of infection, your dentist may:
- Recommend an X-ray. This can help identify sources of dental disease that may have led to the infection. Your dentist can also use X-rays to determine if the infection has spread and may be affecting other areas.
- Recommend a CT scan. If the infection has spread to other areas within the neck, this will help to identify the extent of the infection.
- Tap and press on your teeth. A tooth with an abscess is often sensitive to touch or pressure.
- Thermal tests. These tests will help your dentist determine the health of your pulpal tissues.
You May Like: How Can People Know If They Are Infected With Hiv
Also Check: What To Do For A Bad Tooth Infection
Baking Soda: Easy Home Remedie For Dog Tooth Infections
One of the safest and most convenient home remedies to prevent and treat a dog tooth infection is the use of baking soda. Besides being abrasive to help remove tartar and plaque, it is also alkaline, which helps to eliminate the acidic environment that infection-causing bacteria enjoy.
What to do:
- Moisten a soft-bristled toothbrush and dip it in baking soda.It is not necessary to load the brush-up, because a little goes a long way.
- Gently brush your dogâs teeth. You do not need to apply pressure and wonât be able to if your dogâs teeth are sensitive.
- Repeat this 3 to 4 times weekly at a minimum, but daily is a good idea.
Causes Of Tooth Abscess
Tooth abscess is caused by many reasons, and the common been is as a result of an extracted tooth or in most cases the wisdom tooth, a cracked tooth resulting from a fall or accident, gum infection or a dental procedure by a quack, uncertified dentist. All the above listed are enhanced by poor dental hygiene that can take something minor to a point where it literarily hurts your life and schedules.
Also Check: Can A Tooth Infection Heal On Its Own
How To Select The Carrier Oil You Need
There are many carrier oils available. Most are suitable to use with any essential oil, but you should consider a few things before choosing one.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration doesnt regulate carrier oils labeled for use as cosmetics. They do, however, regulate edible cooking oils that may serve double-duty as carrier oils.
You should only buy therapeutic-grade carrier oils from a manufacturer you trust. Look for oils that are cold-pressed, 100 percent pure, and additive- or preservative-free. If you want to use a cooking oil as a carrier oil, choose cold-pressed, organic varieties.
The following list includes popular carrier oils used to dilute essential oils for aromatherapy, massage, and skin care. The list isnt exhaustive, but its a good place to start.
You May Like: Infection Control Risk Assessment Matrix
What Causes A Tooth Abscess
Anything that creates an opening for bacteria to get into the tooth or surrounding tissues can lead to a tooth infection. Causes include:
- Severe tooth decay: A cavity, or tooth decay, is the destruction of the hard surfaces of the tooth. This occurs when bacteria break down sugars in food and drink, creating acid that attacks enamel.
- Broken, chipped or cracked teeth: Bacteria can seep into any opening in a tooth and spread to the pulp.
- Gum disease : Gum disease is an infection and inflammation of the tissues around the teeth. As gum disease progresses, the bacteria gain access to deeper tissues.
- Injury to the tooth: Trauma to a tooth can injure the inner pulp even if theres no visible crack. The injury makes it susceptible to infection.
Also Check: How To Sleep With Sinus Infection