Side Effects Of Azithromycin
Some of the common side effects of taking Azithromycin higher than the recommended dosage for tonsillitis are-
- Prescribed medicines for blood clotting such as antithrombin III, bivalirudin, dalteparin, Amiodarone, Digoxin, Quinidine and Live typhoid vaccine
Not only the above medicines, but also over-the-counter drugs, vitamins and other dietary supplements and herbal supplements can also interact with Azithromycin. Thus, consult with the doctor regarding the same.
|Benefits||treats various lungs and other respiratory infections such as bronchitis, sinusitis, community acquired pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and whooping cough, bacterial infections such as skin infections, ear infections, cat-scratch disease, genital infections and sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea, genital ulcers, urethra or cervical infections and severe pelvic inflammatory disease|
In addition to taking into consideration the above conditions, there are some other precautions too.
- Avoid taking this medication if you are allergic to it
- Dont take Azithromycin if you have suffered with jaundice or liver problems in the past
- If you have suffered from kidney problems, then dont take this medicine
- People with low levels of potassium should not take this medicine
- Pregnant or lactating women can take this medicine safely. However, it is better to consult with the gynecologist before.
What Are The Risks
Z-paks have been around long enough that the drug is known to be well tolerated by most patients, however, it does carry some risks.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the pills can cause abnormal changes in the heart’s electrical activity that may lead to a fatal heart rhythm.
A benefit versus risk analysis should be performed on patients with existing QT interval prolongation, elderly patients and patients with a history of cardiac disease, Dr. Kobic said. But, overall the risk of ventricular arrhythmia is very low and reported as less than 1% in clinical trials.
Is Your Sinus Infection Caused By A Virus Or Bacteria
Physicians may not know if sinusitis is bacterial or viral, because the diagnosis is typically done by observing symptoms. Symptoms include:
- Nasal congestion
- Thick nasal or post-nasal drainage
Sometimes other tests such as computed tomography scan or cultures are used to help make the diagnosis.
Despite the recommendations that antibiotic use be judicious, they are still overused for sinusitis, according to many physicians who specialize in treating sinus problems.
Some physicians say they give patients with sinusitis a prescription for antibiotics, and recommend they wait three to five days before filling it, and only fill it if symptoms are not better by then. A can be used to help relieve your symptoms and promote drainage.
The longer symptoms last, the more likely a sinus problem is to be a bacterial infection, some experts say.
Don’t Miss: Why Do I Get Recurring Sinus Infections
Are Antibiotics Effective In Curing Sinusitis
According to a clinical review published in the New England Journal of Medicine, patients suffering from acute sinusitis were reviewed for four weeks. The discerning fact that emerged was most sinus infections will improve or clears on their own with antibiotics.
However, antibiotic resistance is a significant issue who regularly consumes antibiotics. Several bacteria carry a gene for antibiotic resistance that turns on when it comes in contact with an antibiotic. After a course of 4-7 days of antibiotics, the person may stop responding to the antibiotics. In such cases, it is imperative to meet an ENT specialist.
What Is Azithromycin And How Does It Work
Azithromycin is used to treat certain bacterial infections . It is a macrolide-type antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
This medication will not work for viral infections . Unnecessary use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
Azithromycin is available under the following different brand names: Zithromax, and Zmax.
- Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans, Actinomyces israelii, Actinomyces naeslundii, Actinomyces odontolyticus, Afipia felis, Arachnia propionica, Arcanobacterium haemolyticum, Bartonella henselae, Bartonella quintana, Bordetella pertussis, Borrelia burgdorferi, Borrelia recurrentis, Klebsiella granulomatis, Campylobacter jejuni, Chlamydia pneumoniae , Chlamydia trachomatis, Haemophilus ducreyi, Haemophilus influenzae, Legionella spp, Mycobacterium simiae, Mycobacterium scrofulaceum, Mycobacterium xenopi, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Moraxella catarrhalis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus , Streptococcus agalactiae , Streptococcus bovis , Streptococcus intermedius group , Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus pyogenes , viridans streptococci
- First-line therapy: A felis, B henselae, B quintana, B pertussis, C jejuni, C pneumoniae , C trachomatis, H ducreyi, H influenzae, Legionella spp, M scrofulaceum, M simiae, M xenopi, N gonorrhoeae
- 500 mg/day orally for 3 days or 2 g orally once
Pediatric: Zmax: 2g orally once
- 10 mg/kg of oral suspension orally once daily for 3 days
You May Like: Do I Need Medicine For A Sinus Infection
When To Seek Medical Care
See a doctor if you have:
- Severe symptoms, such as severe headache or facial pain.
- Symptoms that get worse after initially improving.
- Symptoms lasting more than 10 days without improvement.
- Fever longer than 3-4 days.
You should also seek medical care if you have had multiple sinus infections in the past year.
This list is not all-inclusive. Please see a doctor for any symptom that is severe or concerning.
Other conditions can cause symptoms similar to a sinus infection, including:
- Seasonal allergies
You May Like: Best Medication To Stop Sinus Drainage
What Is The Typical Z
Z-Packs are available as a package containing 6 tablets, 250 mg each. Youll start by taking 2 tablets on the first day as a single dose, followed by 1 tablet on days 2 through 5. For children, the dosing is typically based on their weight and what condition is being treated. Theres a similar product called the Tri-Pak that comes with 3 tablets of azithromycin, each containing 500 mg. With this product, you typically take one tablet daily for 3 days.
Its important to take your Z-pack as prescribed. Try to take it at the same time every day youre supposed to take it until you finish the entire prescription regimen. Not completing your treatment can increase the risk that your infection returns and that the bacteria start becoming insensitive to azithromycin, known as antibiotic resistance. This makes the bacteria more difficult to treat.
Don’t Miss: Can An Infection Go Away Without Antibiotics
When Are Antibiotics Prescribed For A Sinus Infection
Your doctor will consider antibiotic treatment if you do not see relief from these initial treatments. If you develop a fever, or tenderness and pain in your teeth, you may be experiencing symptoms of a bacterial sinus infection.
Not all antibiotics are effective for treatment of bacterial sinus infections, so your doctor will look at your medical history and current symptoms to determine the best antibiotic treatment.
What Are The Side Effects Of Azithromycin
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reactionor a severe skin reaction .
Seek medical treatment if you have a serious drug reaction that can affect many parts of your body. Symptoms may include: skin rash, fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, severe weakness, unusual bruising, or yellowing of your skin or eyes.
- severe stomach pain, diarrhea that is watery or bloody
- fast or pounding heartbeats, fluttering in your chest, shortness of breath, and sudden dizziness or
- liver problemsnausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain , tiredness, itching, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice
Older adults may be more likely to have side effects on heart rhythm, including a life-threatening fast heart rate.
Common side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Dont Miss: Why Does My Sinus Smell Bad
Also Check: How To Clear A Bladder Infection At Home
What Is The Dosage For Azithromycin
- Azithromycin can be taken with or without food, but food reduces stomach upset.
- Zmax should be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal since food reduces its absorption.
- The adult azithromycin dose is 500-2000 mg in multiple or single doses.
- For most infections, azithromycin is taken once daily for a relatively short course of treatment .
- The first dose is often a double dose, twice as much as the remainder of the doses given.
- For acute bacterial sinusitis, azithromycin way is taken once daily for three days.
- Zmax usually is given as a single 2 gm dose.
How Long Before Z Pack Works For A Sinus Infection
. Regarding this, is Z pack good for sinus infection?
The ZPak is a 5-day course of azithromycin , an antibiotic. Its used to treat certain bacterial infections, including some sinus infections and upper respiratory tract infections that lead to headaches, sore throat, congestion, and runny noses.
Additionally, what is the strongest antibiotic for sinus infection? Amoxicillin is acceptable for uncomplicated acute sinus infections however, many doctors prescribe amoxicillin-clavulanate as the first-line antibiotic to treat a possible bacterial infection of the sinuses. Amoxicillin usually is effective against most of the strains of bacteria.
how long does it take for a Zpack to work?
A ZPack typically takes at least five days to fully work, but it can start to relieve your sore throat and other symptoms on the first day you take it. If your doctor prescribes a generic version of azithromycin, your treatment may only last three days.
Why wont my sinus infection go away with antibiotics?
For others, however, sinusitis wont go away until you seek treatment. If this is the case, a sinus infection left untreated may cause further complications . It is treated by antibiotics and drainage of sinus fluids.
Don’t Miss: Pills To Cure Yeast Infection
How Should Augmentin Be Taken
- The usual adult dose is one 500-mg tablet of Augmentin every 12 hours or one 250-mg tablet of Augmentin every 8 hours. For more severe infections and infections of the respiratory tract, the dose should be one 875-mg tablet of Augmentin every 12 hours or one 500-mg tablet of Augmentin every 8 hours. Adults who have difficulty swallowing may be given the 125 mg/5 mL or 250 mg/5 mL suspension in place of the 500-mg tablet. The 200 mg/5 mL suspension or the 400 mg/5 mL suspension may be used in place of the 875-mg tablet.
- Two 250-mg tablets of Augmentin should not be substituted for one 500-mg tablet of Augmentin. Since both the 250-mg and 500-mg tablets of Augmentin contain the same amount of clavulanic acid , two 250-mg tablets are not equivalent to one 500-mg tablet of Augmentin.
- The 250-mg tablet of Augmentin and the 250-mg chewable tablet should not be substituted for each other, as they are not interchangeable. The 250-mg tablet of Augmentin and the 250-mg chewable tablet do not contain the same amount of clavulanic acid . The 250-mg tablet of Augmentin contains 125 mg of clavulanic acid, whereas the 250-mg chewable tablet contains 62.5 mg of clavulanic acid.
When Is It Appropriate To Prescribe A Z
While your Z-pak wont work on viruses, such as colds, the flu or runny noses and even some bacterial infections, including most cases of bronchitis, many sinus infections and some ear infections, it does play a role in treating certain bacterial infections.
It is still used today to treat atypical bacterial pneumonia, chlamydia and/or gonococcal infections and is commonly used for Mycobacterium avium complex prophylaxis in HIV patients with CD4 counts below 50, Dr. Kobic said.
Also Check: Does An Ear Infection Go Away On Its Own
When Antibiotics Dont Work
Some patients suffer from recurring sinus infections. If your sinus infection does not improve within five to seven days after you finish the whole course of antibiotics, or if you experience another sinus infection within a few weeks, you may be referred to an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist for treatment.
Before Taking This Medicine
You should not use azithromycin if you are allergic to it, or if:
you have ever had jaundice or liver problems caused by taking azithromycin or
you are allergic to similar drugs such as clarithromycin, erythromycin, or telithromycin.
To make sure azithromycin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had:
low levels of potassium in your blood or
long QT syndrome .
This medicine is not expected to harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
It is not known whether azithromycin passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Know If My Tooth Is Infected
Other Uses For This Medicine
Azithromycin is also used sometimes to treat H. pylori infection, travelers diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal infections Legionnaires disease pertussis and babesiosis . It is also used to prevent heart infection in people having dental or other procedures, and to prevent STD in victims of sexual assault. Talk to your doctor about the possible risks of using this medication for your condition.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
What Decongestants And Nasal Sprays Soothe Or Cure Sinus Infections Or Sinusitis
Taking decongestants and mucolytics orally may be helpful in assisting drainage of sinus infection.
The treatment of chronic forms of sinus infection requires longer courses of medications, such as Augmentin, and may require a sinus drainage procedure. This drainage typically requires a surgical operation to open the blocked sinus under general anesthesia. In general, antihistamines should be avoided unless it is felt that the sinusitis sinus infection is due to allergies, such as from pollens, dander, or other environmental causes.
It is likely that the use of a topical nasal steroid spray will help reduce swelling in the allergic individual without the drying that is caused by using antihistamines although both are occasionally used. Oral steroids may be prescribed to reduce acute inflammation and to help with chronic inflammation in cases with or without polyps and in allergic fungal sinusitis.
In many people, allergic sinusitis develops first, and later, bacterial infection occurs. For these individuals, early treatment of allergic sinusitis may prevent the development of secondary bacterial sinusitis.
In rare instances or in natural disasters, fungal infections may develop in debilitated people. Death rates of 50%-85% have been reported for patients with these sinus infections. Treatment relies on early diagnosis followed by immediate surgical debridement, antifungal drugs, , and stabilizing any underlying health problem such as diabetes.
You May Like: Oregano Oil Capsules For Sinus Infection
What To Do For Chronic Sinusitis
If youre suffering from chronic sinusitis or you are getting frequent sinus infections you should see your doctor, says Dr. Sindwani.
Your doctor will swab your nose to collect mucus. Culturing it in a laboratory will reveal which type of bacteria is causing the infection so the right antibiotic can be prescribed.
Treat early sinus infection symptoms with rest, hydration and over-the-counter sprays and decongestants. But dont look for an antibiotic unless your illness extends beyond a week, he says. Then check in with your doctor for a prescription and let him or her know if your condition worsens.
When Does Antibiotic Resistance Occur
Antibiotic resistance means that certain drugs no longer work for a specific type of germ. This can occur when bacteria change in response to exposure to antibiotics so that the antibiotics no longer work efficiently against the bacteria. Antibiotic resistance develops In an individual’s body, and then the contagious infection that is spread to other people In the community is also resistant.
Unfortunately, it’s hard to know if a sinus infection is bacterial, viral, or has other causes based on symptoms alone. Because viral sinus infections tend to improve in 5 to 7 days, healthcare providers will sometimes only prescribe antibiotics if your symptoms go on for longer than this. A sinus infection that persists for longer than a week or continues to get worse during this time period is more likely to be bacterial.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does A Yeast Infection Last Without Treatment
What Else Should I Know About Azithromycin
What preparations of azithromycin are available?
- Tablets: 250, 500, and 600 mg.
- Suspension: 100 mg/5 ml , 200 mg/5 ml .
- Powder for suspension : 2 g.
- Powder for oral suspension: 1 g.
- Powder for Injection: 500 mg. Z-PAK TRI-PAK .
How should I keep azithromycin stored?
- Tablets should be stored at room temperature between 15 C to 30 C .
- Suspension and solution for injection should be kept between 5 C to 30C .
How does azithromycin work?
- Azithromycin, like all macrolide antibiotics, prevents bacteria from growing by interfering with their ability to make proteins. Because of the differences in the way proteins are made in bacteria and humans, macrolide antibiotics do not interfere with the production of proteins in humans. It is an unusual antibiotic in that it stays in the body for quite a while , allowing for once-a-day dosing and for shorter treatment courses for most infections.
When was azithromycin approved by the FDA?
- The FDA approved azithromycin in November 1991.
Zithromax Effectiveness In Clinical Trials
In clinical trials, Zithromax was effective at fighting bacterial infection, including some antibiotic-resistant strains.
Studies conducted before approval of the drug measured its minimum inhibitory concentration in relation to a host of bacteria. MIC is the lowest concentration of an antibiotic that will inhibit the growth of bacteria and thereby kill them. A lower MIC means a more effective antibiotic.
In a 1991 study in the European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, researchers found Zithromax had a markedly low MIC against some bacteria compared with three other types of antibiotics, meaning it was highly effective for example, resolving 92 percent of gonorrhea infections treated.
Recommended Reading: Best Oils For Sinus Congestion
Recommended Reading: Infected Sweat Gland Home Remedy