Overactive Bladder In Children: Causes Diagnosis And Treatment
Overactive bladder , a specific type of urinary incontinence, is a common childhood condition defined by a sudden and uncontrollable urge to urinate. It can lead to accidents during the day. A parent may also ask a child if they need to go to the bathroom. Even though the child says no, theyll have an urgent need to go minutes later. OAB is not the same as bed-wetting, or nocturnal enuresis. Bed-wetting is more common, particularly in young children.
Symptoms of OAB can interfere with a childs day-to-day routines. Its important to react to daytime accidents with patience and understanding. These incidences can often impact a childs social and emotional development. Other physical complications of an OAB in children are:
- difficulty emptying the bladder completely
- an increased risk for kidney damage
- an increased risk for urinary tract infections
Talk to your doctor if you suspect your child has an OAB. In most cases, an OAB goes away with time. If not, there are treatments and at-home measures available to help your child overcome or manage this condition.
Cut Bladder Irritants From Your Diet
When you have a UTI, caffeine, alcohol, spicy food, nicotine, carbonated drinks, and artificial sweeteners can irritate your bladder further, making it harder for your body to heal, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Focus on healthy foods, such as high-fiber carbohydrates , that are good for your digestive health, says Holly Lucille, ND, RN, a naturopathic doctor in private practice in West Hollywood, California, and the author of Creating and Maintaining Balance: A Womans Guide to Safe, Natural Hormone Health.
Treatment Of Uti In Children
Your childs UTI will require prompt antibiotic treatment to prevent kidney damage. The type of bacteria causing your childs UTI and the severity of your childs infection will determine the type of antibiotic used and the length of treatment.
The most common antibiotics used for treatment of UTIs in children are:
If your child has a UTI thats diagnosed as a simple bladder infection, its likely that treatment will consist of oral antibiotics at home. However, more severe infections may require hospitalization and IV fluids or antibiotics.
Hospitalization may be necessary in cases where your child:
- is younger than 6 months old
- has a high fever that isnt improving
- likely has a kidney infection, especially if the child is very ill or young
- has a blood infection from the bacteria, as in sepsis
- is dehydrated, vomiting, or unable to take oral medications for any other reason
Pain medication to alleviate severe discomfort during urination also may be prescribed.
If your child is receiving antibiotic treatment at home, you can help ensure a positive outcome by taking certain steps.
Read Also: Home Remedies For Chronic Sinus Infection
Ayurvedic Herbs For Uti
Studies have shown that ayurvedic herbs for UTI are:
Pee before and after having sex.
Remove sweaty underwear.
Take a shower instead of a bath so that you can clean your private part.
Do not hold your urine in. Go to the restroom as soon as you can.
Increase Your Vitamin C Intake
Vitamin C may help because it makes the urine acidic, explains Dr. Eilber. One study of pregnant women found that those who took 100 mg of vitamin C every day had fewer UTIs than those who didnt. Dr. Eilber says theres not a lot of research beyond that, but some patients claim it works and it likely wont harm you so vitamin C supplementation could be worth a shot. Alternatively, you can try adding foods that are rich in vitamin C to your diet.
Recommended Reading: Can I Use Amoxicillin For Urinary Tract Infection
What The Wild Oregano Oil Research Tells Us
Although wild oregano oil has demonstrated strong antibacterial and antifungal properties, there have been no studies in humans to evaluate its effectiveness for the treatment or prevention of UTI.
Wild Oregano Oil studies:
- The antibacterial activity of wild oregano oil.
- The activity of carvacrol against biofilm development.
- The antimicrobial and antifungal activity of carvacrol bearing essential oils.
- Wild oregano oil as an alternative antimicrobial agent against vaginal infections.
- The antifungal activity of wild oregano oil as compared to the most common antifungal drugs.
What was found:
- Oregano oil was active against all tested strains of E.coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, but strains of E.coli were more sensitive to the oil.
- Carvacrol was demonstrated to be effective against the usual biofilm development in S. aureus and S. enterica serovar Typhimurium, S. epidermis bacteria and candida species
- Escherichia coli 1, E. coli 2, Staphylococcus aureus 3 and Candida albicans isolated from vaginal infections were found to be susceptible to wild oregano oil.
- Wild oregano oil displayed greater antifungal activity than the most common antifungal drugs against Candida albicans.
- When placed in the ear canal of rats, Carvacrol effectively treated infections of the middle ear caused by pneumococci or Hemophilus Influenza.
- Oral candidiasis in immunosuppressed rats disappeared completely from the tongue mucosa in the animals treated with carvacrol.
How Can You Get A Uti
Gender is the greatest risk factor for getting a UTI. The same study mentioned above showed that women are eight times more likely to contract a UTI than men. One theory is that because women have a shorter urethra, bacteria have an easier time reaching the bladder.
Other risk factors that can lead to a urinary tract infection include:
Just because you have risk factors doesnt mean youre destined to suffer from UTIs though. There are many things you can do to prevent, and even stop, a UTI.
Read Also: Can I Treat Sinus Infection At Home
Home Remedies For Fast Uti Relief
The urge to go to the bathroom, pain during urination, and lower abdominal pressure and pain associated with urinary tract infections can make it difficult to concentrate at work or school, enjoy favorite activities and rest comfortably at night. Fortunately, there are ways that you can get UTI relief through home remedies while your body fights the infection.
Warning Signs And Symptoms Of Urinary Tract Disease
If your cat exhibits any of the warning signs of FLUTD, contact your veterinarian immediately. Especially if your cat is not urinating freely, a urinary blockage may be the cause and this condition may be life threatening. Consult your veterinarian immediately.
Signs of feline bladder health problems
- Urinating outside of the litter box
- Straining when urinating
- Lack of energy or interest in normal activities
Recommended Reading: What Essential Oil Is Good For Tooth Infection
Can Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar Treat Utis
Studies, such as one published in January 2018 in Scientific Reports, have shown that apple cider vinegar has some antibacterial and antifungal properties, but theres no scientific or medical evidence that drinking apple cider vinegar cures UTIs. Drinking large amounts of apple cider vinegar could lead to throat irritation and tooth decay.
Drink Plenty Of Fluids:
We all know that drinking plenty of fluids is just a great practice towards a healthy lifestyle.
When it comes to natural cures for a bladder infection though, drinking an abundance of fluids is one of the most effective routes to take.
The more fluids you drink, the more you are flushing out the system and the bacteria that cause the infection in the first place.
The longer urine stays in the system, the higher the likelihood that the E. Coli bacteria can form.
Drinking plenty of fluids is not only a helpful home remedy in ridding the body of a bladder infection, but acts as a preventative measure as well.
Read Also: Can I Use Teladoc For A Yeast Infection
What Causes Urinary Tract Infections
Normal urine is sterile and contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It does not contain bacteria, viruses, or fungi. A UTI occurs when germs, most often bacteria from the digestive tract, get into the opening of the urethra and start to multiply.
Most UTIs are caused by E. coli bacteria, which normally live in the colon.
Recommended Reading: Does Cephalexin Treat Kidney Infection
Drinking Plenty Of Fluids
Drinking lots of water is one of the best home treatments for UTI. Dehydration is itself a risk factor for developing a UTI, and regular urination can help remove bacteria from the urinary tract, which can help prevent infection.
In fact, studies show people who increase their water intake from less than 1.5 daily liters to 2.2 liters a day experience fewer UTIs.
Its commonly recommended to drink around 64 ounces of water daily, but everyones hydration needs are different. As a general rule, drink water throughout the day and whenever you feel thirsty.
When you are well-hydrated, your urine is typically clear or straw colored. You should also avoid caffeinated or alcoholic drinks when you have a UTI or want to prevent one.
You May Like: Get Rid Of Yeast Infection Overnight
Drink Plenty Of Fluids
Dehydration is linked to an increased risk of UTIs.
This is because regular urination can help flush bacteria from the urinary tract to prevent infection. When youre dehydrated, you arent urinating as often, which can create a breeding ground for bacteria.
A examined nursing home residents and administered a drinking schedule to participants to increase their fluid intake. Following the schedule decreased UTIs requiring antibiotics by 56%.
In a 2020 randomized control trial , 140 premenopausal participants prone to UTIs took part in a 12-month study to test if a higher fluid intake would decrease their risk of recurrent cystitis and, in turn, their risk of developing a UTI. Researchers found that an increase in fluid intake led to a decrease in UTI frequency.
To stay hydrated and meet your fluid needs, its best to drink water throughout the day and always when youre thirsty.
Benefits of drinking more fluids for UTI
Drinking plenty of liquids can decrease your risk of UTIs by making you pee more, which helps remove bacteria from your urinary tract.
evidence suggests that increasing your intake of vitamin C could protect against UTIs.
Vitamin C is thought to work by increasing the acidity of urine, killing off the bacteria that cause infection.
An older 2007 study of UTIs in pregnant women looked at the effects of taking 100 milligrams of vitamin C every day.
Fruits and vegetables are especially high in vitamin C and are a good way to increase your intake.
Natural Remedies For Uti Relief
A true UTI needs antibiotics to clear the bacteria responsible for the symptoms and infection, Dr. Sherry explains, so call your doctor if you’re experiencing UTI symptoms. While you wait for your appointment, though, there are some home remedies you can try to help relieve some of the discomfort.
Read Also: Warm Salt Water For Tooth Infection
How Can I Treat A Urinary Tract Infection At Home
There are a few things you can do at home to treat a urinary tract infection . Drinking lots of fluids, especially water, cranberry juice, and baking soda dissolved in water, can help flush out the bacteria causing the infection. You can also take overheounter pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen to help relieve discomfort. Avoiding foods and drinks that irritate your bladder, such as caffeine, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, and spicy foods, can also help.
Finally, make sure to empty your bladder as soon as you feel the urgeholding it in can only make things worse. If your symptoms dont improve after a few days or if they get worse, see your doctor. They can prescribe antibiotics to clear up the infection.
Up Your Vitamin C Intake
Theres some scientific evidence that increasing your vitamin C intake can help your body fight off infections, including those in the urinary tract. Thats because vitamin C can increase urine acidity, giving it antibacterial capabilities.
In one study, pregnant women who took 100 mg of vitamin C had less than half the risk of developing a UTI than the control group.
If you want to use vitamin C to treat or prevent a UTI, talk to your provider, who can help you decide how much to supplement. Another way to increase vitamin C intake is by eating foods that are rich in the vitamin, like red peppers, kiwi, and citrus fruits.
If you have a current UTI, citrus fruit and juice may irritate your bladder, so be sure to monitor your symptoms if you decide to up your vitamin C intake.
Recommended Reading: Can You Fight An Infection Without Antibiotics
Try Drinking Some Unsweetened Cranberry Juice
While the research is a bit unclear, cranberries have been used as a prevention of UTI for generations. Studies have shown that cranberries actually make it harder for the bacteria that cause UTIs to stick to the urinary tract walls. So, while not really a remedy, if you frequently get UTIs, it might be worth drinking a couple of glasses of unsweetened cranberry juice, or snacking on the actual fruit .
Other Ways To Help Manage A Uti:
- Drinking plenty of water may help to dilute your urine and help flush out bacteria that causes UTIs.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol and soft drinks that contain citrus juices and caffeine. They can irritate your bladder and aggravate your need to urinate. No thanks.
- Place a heating pad over your abdomen to help ease pressure and discomfort.
Recommended Reading: Will Gardasil Work After Infection
Recommended Reading: How Hiv Infects Cells Worksheet Answers
Understanding Flutd: Related Urinary Tract Problems
Although they are possible, UTIs are actually somewhat uncommon in cats. Instead, other urinary disorders are more common, as well as urinary problems with no clear cause.
UTIs are actually one component of a larger group of urinary problems referred to as feline lower urinary tract disease . Conditions that affect the bladder or urethra in both male and female cats are categorized under FLUTD and must be checked out by a veterinarian.
FLUTD often presents in similar ways as UTIs, including blood in the urine, difficulty or painful urination and urination outside of the litter box.
FLUTD conditions may include blockages like bladder stones, bladder infections, kidney infections and urethral obstructions. The following are some of the most common FLUTD diagnoses.
The majority of FLUTD is idiopathic, meaning there is no identifiable cause for the symptoms. Sometimes, this is rooted in stress in the home, such as changes in location or routine or loneliness.
When you bring your cat in after noticing symptoms of urinary problems, the vet will conduct a physical examination and a urinalysis. This will help rule out problems like UTIs and bladder stones or crystals before determining the appropriate form of treatment.
If there is a physical cause like a UTI, treatment can be relatively simple. However, more serious problems like stones or urethral blockages will likely require surgery to rectify.
Tips To Prevent And Manage Utis
Apart from the above-mentioned 15 most effective home remedies for UTI, here are some more tips that will help you manage as well as prevent a UTI:
- Drink lots of water and other fluids such as juice, tea, and soups. You may also include food items with a good water content such as watermelons and cucumbers
- Add probiotics to your diet to aid the growth of good bacteria within your body
- Avoid coffee, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, citrus drinks, and spicy foods especially when you are trying to treat a UTI as they are known to be bladder irritants
- Do not hold the urge to urinate. Go when you have to go. Holding urine increases the risk of UTI as it provides the bacteria a chance to develop
- If you are sexually active, pee after engaging in sexual activities
- Always wipe from the front to the back after using the bathroom and never from the back to the front
- Douches, perfumed soaps, and other scented hygiene products are a big no
- Wear loose-fitting clothes
Q. What is the fastest way to get rid of a UTI?
There is no guaranteed way to get rid of a UTI fast. It usually subsides in four to five days. Antibiotics may help. If you are not big on antibiotics, you can try some home remedies like cranberry juice and parsley tea to manage the UTI.
Q. What cures a UTI naturally?
Some teas like mint, dandelion, and parsley are said to treat a UTI naturally. You may also try other popular home remedies for UTI like unsweetened cranberry juice, coriander seeds, and rice kanji.
Read Also: Gargle Salt Water For Tooth Infection
Herbal Remedies For Uti
There are several herbal remedies, which are also used to cure a urinary tract infection:
1. Uva Ursi: this herb contains a compound, known as arbutin, which kills the bacteria present in the lining of the urinary passage. It also helps in stimulating urination.
Note: Children, nursing or pregnant women, and people with liver or kidney disease should not take this herb.
2. Horsetail is a good diuretic, which aids in the proper urine flow as well as stops bleeding during urinary tract infections.
3. Echinacea works as a natural antibiotic. Therefore, it helps to fight against the viruses and bacteria that are the main cause of infection in the urinary tract.
4. Parsley seeds are also helpful in treating urinary tract infection as it reduces the inflammation and pain caused due to the UTI.
5. Mullein: another effective herb for treating the inflammation caused due to the UTI is Mullein.
6. Horseradish is a natural antibiotic, which is good for controlling the infection of the urinary tract.
7. Goldenseal: the compound berberine found in this herb stops bacteria from sticking to the urethra walls.