Potential Side Effects Of Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, which means yeast cells are killed during processing and inactive in the final product.
Its described as having a nutty, cheesy, and savory flavor. Its a common vegan cheese substitute.
Nutritional yeast comes in the form of powder or flakes. Its an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals. It also offers a number of potential health benefits.
While nutritional yeast is a valuable addition to many diets, there may be some side effects associated with using it as a dietary supplement.
Here are 4 potential side effects of nutritional yeast.
Dietary Nutrients And Hearing Loss
A number of recently published studies point to nutritional factors that are involved in hearing loss.
A study of 1823 adults age 45-60 in France over 13 years showed hearing levels were better among those individuals who consumed the most vitamin A, vitamin B12 from foods and red meat . This suggests women required iron to maintain hearing. Vitamin B12 is required for the myelin sheath that surrounds nerves and it makes sense that it would be beneficial for a nerve disorder. The connection with vitamin A is a bit surprising and requires further investigation, as provided below.
Another study involving 2592 adults 20-69 years of age showed higher dietary intake of beta carotene , vitamin C and magnesium were associated with better hearing scores. However, this data was obtained from the NHANES database that has fallen into disrepute.
Hearing thresholds were tested among 1910 participants age 50-80 years in Korea and dietary intake of vitamin A, riboflavin , niacin and vitamin C were associated with better hearing. Dietary supplement use was associated with better hearing at all frequencies tested.
The Blue Mountains Hearing Study conducted among 2956 age 50+ adults correlated dietary vitamin E intake with a 14% reduction in the likelihood of hearing loss. Again, the highest intake of vitamin A from foods produced a 47% reduction in risk for moderate or greater hearing loss.
Does Supplementation Prevent Alzheimers
At this time, there is no conclusive evidence to suggest that vitamin B12 supplementation can prevent Alzheimers disease from developing. Regardless, research does repeatedly show that good nutrition does make a difference in our brain health, and certain foods are also recommended as part of a brain-healthy diet.
Also Check: Sinus Infection Watery Eyes Treatment
Do You Get Enough Sleep Melatonin May Help
Tinnitus can be particularly bothersome at bedtime when you are trying to sleep.
If youre having a hard time falling asleep or staying asleep all night, you might want to try a natural sleep aid such as LUNA Natural Sleep Aid which is a #1 best seller on Amazon.
Some people find that taking a natural sleep aid which contains melatonin greatly improves their overall quality of sleep, and their tinnitus symptoms significantly decrease.
LUNA Natural Sleep Aid is a popular all-natural product made from a harmonious blend of relaxing herbs, nutrients and melatonin. These natural ingredients promote a deep sleep without the usual side effects of prescription sleeping pills.
Indicators Of Vitamins B Scarcities
Neurotropic B vitamins play crucial roles as coenzymes and beyond in the nervous system. Particularly vitamin B1 , B6 , and B12 contribute essentially to the maintenance of a healthy nervous system. Taking into consideration the present information on the neurotropic vitamins B1, B6 and B12, it is ultimate that a biological interaction come to be obvious in several diverse passageways in nervous system, mainly in the PNS as illustrated by their collective usage in the management of peripheral neuropathy . This is significant to start bearing in mind about B vitamins as a therapeutic and neuroprotective tactic for peripheral neuropathies and several brain disorders equally, in forthcoming medical studies. Table 1, provides an overview on the major implications in overlapping biochemical pathways important for the nervous system, pointing to a synergistic effect as a logical consequence of these overlaps.
You May Like: Best Abx For Ear Infection
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of A Ear Infection Quick
Vitamin B12 Overdose Symptoms And Complications
Although vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that we need to develop and function properly, what happens when we take too much of it? There isnt a tolerable upper intake level for vitamin B12, as its considered a vitamin with low levels of toxicity. That means that theres no maximum daily dose thats known to cause adverse effects to the general population.
However, there are some groups of people that may be at a greater risk of vitamin B12 overdose. This includes people with kidney and liver disease, those with diseases related to the blood, and women who are pregnant. Studies show the consuming an excessive amount of vitamin B12 may:
There are also negative side effects associated with vitamin B12 injections. Some of the most common complaints include:
What Are The Health Benefits Of Brewers Yeast
If you dont like the taste of nutritional yeast, or if you just want to try something new, you have other options. However, bear in mind that different yeasts have different health benefits. For example, here are some of the benefits of eating brewers yeast.
- Brewers yeast has many of the same nutrients as nutritional yeast, but in smaller amounts. For example, it has about half as much vitamin B5 and a tenth as much vitamin B6 compared to nutritional yeast.16
- This type of yeast has minerals like iron, sodium, and magnesium. It also has vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, and folic acid. Unlike nutritional yeast, brewers yeast does not have much calcium content.17
- Yeast used in the brewing process might give you an energy boost.18
- Brewers yeast is a good source of protein.19
- Yeast used in alcohol brewing may help control blood sugar levels.20
If youre a big beer fan, you may already be enjoying the benefits of this form of yeast without even realizing it. Otherwise, you can eat brewers yeast with your food. This yeast has a bitter taste, so you may want to stick with nutritional yeast for flavor.
You May Like: Medication To Get Rid Of Yeast Infection
Health Risks Associated With Nutritional Yeast
In some cases, you may find it best to avoid nutritional yeast altogether. If you eat yeast, youll want to do so in moderation.
- Nutritional yeast is high in fiber. If you eat too much fiber, and your body isnt used to it, you may get cramps, discomfort, or dehydration.33
- This yeast contains a hormone called tyramine. Tyramine might cause headaches, as well as high blood pressure.34,35
- Nutritional yeast also contains niacin. Consuming high amounts of niacin could cause facial flushing or, in extreme cases, liver damage.36-38
- Nutritional yeast can trigger allergies or intolerances. A yeast allergy can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms are similar to other, more common conditions.39,40
- Yeast, including nutritional yeast, naturally contains monosodium glutamate, or MSG. If you are sensitive to MSG, youll need to avoid foods that are made with yeast.41
- Some brands of nutritional yeast have detectable amounts of lead. The level is low, but pregnant women should still be careful about eating nutritional yeast.42
Nutritional yeast can be a beneficial addition to your diet, however, you should be aware of side effects. Be especially careful if you have allergies, or if youre pregnant. Again, if you are concerned about nutritional yeast, or youre making any dietary changes, talk to your doctor first.
Symptoms Of Bacterial Vaginosis
Some symptoms of BV may seem similar to those of a yeast infection, such as a burning sensation when you urinate or strangely colored discharge that is thicker than normal. One distinguishing factor of bacterial vaginosis is that it often is accompanied by a fishy odor. This smell may become even more potent after sexual intercourse.
Diaper Rash From Yeast Infection
Though diaper rashes are usually caused by leaving a wet or soiled diaper on too long, once your babyâs skin is irritated, infection is more likely. If their diaper rash isnât going away, check to see if their bottom is red and sensitive, and if thereâs a raised red border around the sores. If so, have your pediatrician check for candidiasis. It can be treated with an antifungal cream.
Keeping your babyâs bottom clean and dry is a good start to help prevent diaper rash and candidiasis.
Vegan Or Vegetarian Diet
Most natural sources of B12 come from animal products. That includes meat, dairy, and eggs. But itâs possible to get enough B12 on a vegan or strict vegetarian diet. The easiest way to do that is to take a daily or weekly supplement. Ask your doctor what dose is right for you.
Here are some other plant-based sources of B12:
- Fortified nondairy milks
Recommended Reading: Does Azo Help With Kidney Infection
How Is Vitamin B12 Deficiency Treated
Vitamin B12 deficiency can be treated with vitamin B12. It is often treated with cyanocobalamin, a man-made form of vitamin B12. Depending on the cause of the deficiency, the person may only have to be treated until their vitamin B12 levels are back to normal, or they may have to take vitamin B12 therapy for the rest of their life. Options for vitamin B12 treatment include:
- Vitamin B12 oral medication.
Risks And Side Effects
- Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin. When consumed in excess amounts, its flushed out of the body through urine. For this reason, a vitamin B12 overdose is unlikely. In fact, studies show that for those who are deficient in the nutrient, taking up to 2,000 micrograms per day is safe.
- However, people with certain medical conditions or those receiving B12 injections may experience negative side effects or overdose symptoms.
- If you take large doses of vitamin B12 and notice adverse side effects, talk to your health care professional about the issue and ask about evaluating your ability to properly absorb the nutrient.
Read Also: Does Monistat Get Rid Of Yeast Infection
Vitamin B12 Overdose Symptoms: Should You Be Concerned
You know that theres a long list of vitamin B12 benefits that come with getting enough of the nutrient. In fact, you need enough of it to maintain hormone balance, the health of your nerve cells, DNA synthesis and enzyme production just to name a few. But what happens when you take too much vitamin B12? Can you suffer from a vitamin B12 overdose?
Although a vitamin B12 overdose is rare, research suggests that some groups of people are at a greater risk of adverse effects from taking an excessive amount of the nutrient. Are you at risk of a vitamin B12 overdose? If you have certain health conditions, you have to be careful of supplementing with this essential nutrient.
What Does The Medical Research Say About Vitamins And Mineral Supplements For Tinnitus
If youre wondering what the medical literature reveals, I recommend the article The Allure of the Magic Pill: What Science Says About Dietary Supplements to Help Tinnitus by Dr. Cláudia Barros Coelho, MD, PhD, a Brazilian otolaryngologist who has specialized in the management of tinnitus and hyperacusis for over 20 years.
If youre determined to try then you should have blood work done to determine if you have vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and discuss with your physician which supplements would be appropriate based on those results, she advises.
Her article summarizes the evidence for gingko biloba, zinc, vitamin B12, melatonin, flavonoids, and magnesium. While nothing stood out as very effective, in some cases a diet lacking in certain vitamins and minerals can lead to tinnitus, so its important to see your doctor first, she said.
If youre determined to try them then you should have blood work done to determine if you have vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and discuss with your physician which supplements would be appropriate based on those results, she advises.
The good news is that the search for new tinnitus treatments and therapeutics continues, with exciting research happening all over the world.
But we also dont need to wait for the next big breakthrough, because valid treatments already existjust not in a bottle of supplements or ear drops.
Recommended Reading: Hungry In Sign Language
Don’t Miss: What Type Of Infection Is Psoriasis
How Many Probiotics Do I Need
It is advised to take probiotics that contain at least 1 billion colony forming units . These assist in establishing and further growing the amount of healthy bacterias in your body. Any decent probiotic will have between 1-10 billion CFUs, but the particular dose will depend on the unique probiotic and how it was manufactured.
Natural probiotics are also an excellent source if you would prefer to forego supplements. However, this option will make it significantly more difficult to get enough CFUs, as supplements are specially designed to administer a large, concentrated dose of the best probiotics for your body.
Recommended Reading: Does The Meningitis Vaccine Prevent Infection
Can Vitamin B Cause Yeast Infection In Women
Not every yeast infection requires a visit to the doctors office, and not every yeast infection goes away with home treatments. Although some websites claim that vitamin B can both cause and cure vaginal yeast infections, no real evidence supports such claims. Some B vitamins can, however, elevate your blood sugar levels, and women with diabetes prove especially prone to yeast infections.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
You May Like: What To Do For A Bad Tooth Infection
What Causes Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Vitamin B12 deficiency happens if you are not eating enough vitamin B12 or your body is not absorbing the vitamin B12 you consume properly. Situations or conditions that can cause vitamin B12 deficiency include:
- Lack of vitamin B12 in your diet: People who don’t eat enough foods that naturally have vitamin B12 or don’t eat foods fortified with vitamin B12 can develop vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Gastritis: Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining, and itâs a common cause of vitamin B12 deficiency. It can cause vitamin B12 deficiency due to a lack of hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which is needed for vitamin B12 absorption.
- Pernicious anemia: People who have pernicious anemia, a rare medical condition, are not able to make intrinsic factor, a protein made by your stomach. You need intrinsic factor so that your body can absorb B12 vitamin. People with pernicious anemia have a B12 vitamin deficiency.
- Digestive diseases: Diseases that affect the digestive system, like Crohnâs disease and celiac disease, can prevent your body from fully absorbing vitamin B12.
- Surgery: People who have gastrointestinal surgery, such as a gastric bypass , can have difficulty absorbing vitamin B12.
- Alcohol use disorder: This condition can damage your digestive system and cause vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Transcobalamin II deficiency: This is a rare genetic disorder that impairs the transport of vitamin B12 within the body.
Tingling Hands Or Feet
Vitamin B-12 deficiency may cause pins and needles in the hands or feet. This symptom occurs because the vitamin plays a crucial role in the nervous system, and its absence can cause people to develop nerve conduction problems or nerve damage.
In the nervous system, vitamin B-12 helps produce a substance called myelin. Myelin is a protective coating that shields the nerves and helps them transmit sensations.
People who are vitamin B-12 deficient may not produce enough myelin to coat their nerves. Without this coating, nerves can become damaged.
Problems are more common in the nerves in the hands and feet, which are called peripheral nerves. Peripheral nerve damage may lead to tingling in these parts of the body.
For more in-depth resources about vitamins, minerals, and supplements, visit our dedicated hub.
Also Check: Best Remedy For Bladder Infection
Benefits Associated With Bakers Yeast
The third main kind of yeast that you eat is bakers yeast. This yeast, which helps bread rise, also offers a host of potentially healthy nutrients.
- Bakers yeast contains phosphorus, potassium, and folate. It has no sugar, and its low in fat.21
- Bakers yeast is also loaded with antioxidants, which help fight off free radicals. 22
- B-glucan, an ingredient in bakers yeast, may help children fight off respiratory infections. Scientists believe that the nutrients in bakers yeast help boost the immune system.23
- The immune boost also helps adults. One study found that athletes and people experiencing stress enjoyed better health when they consumed bakers yeast.24
- A nutrient in bakers yeast may help people who suffer from seasonal allergies.25
How Ear Infections Start
Ear infections often begin after a child has a cold, sore throat, or upper respiratory infection caused by common bacteria or viruses.
Behind your eardrum is a small chamber called the middle ear. Connected to the middle ear is your eustachian tube, which drains fluid into the back of your throat and ventilates the middle ear space. An infection can cause the eustachian tube to swell and block fluid from draining or allow negative pressure to build up.
As the fluid builds up in the middle ear, viruses or bacteria can grow, causing an infection in the middle ear. Children have narrower and shorter eustachian tubes than adults, making them more prone to ear infections.
Recommended Reading: Will Allergy Medicine Help Sinus Infection
Also Check: Does Uti Medication Cause Yeast Infections
How Is An Ear Infection Treated
- If a child doesnt have too much discomfort or a high fever, the doctor will likely wait 24 to 48 hours to see if the ear infection gets better on its own. If the child does not improve or gets worse, contact the doctor again.
- You childs doctor will prescribe antibiotics if:
- your child is moderately to severely ill with a high fever ,
- your child has severe pain,
- the condition has not improved for 48 hours, or
- the ear canal has new fluid.
For an uncomplicated ear infection, children between 6 months and 2 years usually take an antibiotic for 10 days. Children over 2 years of age will take an antibiotic for 5 days.
The doctor might suggest acetaminophen or ibuprofen to reduce the childs pain. Only give ibuprofen if your child is drinking reasonably well. Do not give ibuprofen to babies under 6 months old without first talking to your doctor.
Do not give over-the-counter medications to babies and children under 6 years without first talking to your doctor. The only exceptions are medications used to treat fever, such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen.
Children usually feel better within 1 day of starting an antibiotic, but make sure to finish it. Your doctor might want to see your child again to be sure the infection has cleared up completely. Fluid can remain in the middle ear without inflammation for a few weeks.
You May Like: Yeast Infection On Your Period