Ii Home Remedies For Tooth Infection And Swelling
There are many home remedies for tooth infection and swelling out there. And now, we will show you some of the natural treatments for tooth infection pain that you can consider applying at home.
1. Oil Pulling
This should be the first one among natural home remedies for tooth infection pain that we would like to mention in this article. Oil pulling can be effective in treating a tooth infection or painful gums. This trick helps eliminate the bacteria in your mouth, draw toxins from your mouth and improve oral health.
Read on 38 Tips How To Get Rid Of A Toothache Pain Naturally At Home to discover some of the natural home remedies for a toothache pain that you can apply at home.
2. Black Tea Bag
Using a black tea bag is another great way on how to cure tooth infection. This is because black tea has a compound called tannins, which help relieve pain and inflammation. Besides, it is also rich in powerful antioxidants, which help fight infection and improve oral health.
- Dip a black tea bag in some warm water for several minutes.
- Then, remove the tea bag from the water and squeeze it out.
- Place the black tea bag on your affected tooth
- Let it sit on for at least several hours or overnight
- The next morning, rinse the mouth using warm water mixed with salt.
- Repeat this remedy once daily for a few weeks.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Add 1 tsp. of raw apple cider vinegar to a cup of water
- Drink this solution twice daily.
Can A Tea Bag Help An Abscessed Tooth
One of the most common home remedies for tooth abscess is an herbal tea bag, ideally one containing black or green tea. Dip the tea bag into warm water and then wring out the excess water. Be careful that you dont damage the tea bag while doing so. You can then put the wet tea bag over the abscessed tooth. If possible, lie down and leave the tea bag in place for a few hours. Repeat this treatment as often as you need to until your tooth starts to feel better.
Tannins, which are chemical compounds naturally found in tea, have been shown to have antibacterial properties, which makes them a popular home remedy for fighting infection. The tea bag may also help soak up any pus or discharge released by the abscess.
If any pus or discharge has been released from the affected tooth, you can rinse your mouth out with a hydrogen peroxide solution. This can help prevent the area from festering.
Recommended Reading: What Medication To Take For Ear Infection
Home Remedies For Toothache Medicinenet
- Review: 3.64
- Summary: Tea tree oil has antibacterial and antibiotic properties to keep infection at bay. Peppermint oil can also be used on its own to help alleviate toothache. Thyme
- Matching search results: More than all this, maintain good dental hygiene by brushing twice a day, rinsing the mouth after consuming anything, and regular flossing and rinsing with a mouthwash. In case you have sensitive teeth, try switching to toothpaste made for
Also Check: How To Get Over An Ear Infection
Alcohol: Do Not Use Alcohol
Although it is popular, it is an ineffective home remedy. People tend to soak some alcohol in the cotton swab and apply the same to the abscessed area. Alcohol may temporarily numb the pain, but it does not remove the infection. The result will be temporary relief. The National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism reports that the use of alcohol as a pain killer can be extremely dangerous, as the amount of alcohol needed to get numbing effects is often very high. So better to avoid this remedy.
These are some of the remedies that can be used at home to get relief from painful symptoms of abscessed teeth. Although, if each option has its advantages, there are some disadvantages also associated. Therefore, it is better to use every option after gaining a thorough understanding and just for getting temporary relief. After which always have a visit to a nearby dentist as soon as possible.
What Is A Dry Socket
The typical scenario for dry socket is the occurrence of throbbing pain about two to four days after the tooth is extracted. Dry socket pain is often accompanied by bad breath and a foul taste in the mouth. With this onset of pain, it is obvious that proper healing has been interrupted.
Dry socket is a condition of inflammation of the jawbone after a tooth extraction. It is also referred to as âalveolar osteitisâ and is one of the many complications that can occur from a tooth extraction. The hallmark of dry socket is noticeable pain that occurs a few days after a tooth is extracted. Pain from dry socket is often described as a dull, throbbing pain that can range from moderate to unbearable.
Youre more likely to develop tooth infections if you:
- Smoke: Smokers are about twice as likely to get tooth infections as nonsmokers.
- Have dry mouth: Bacteria thrive in a mouth with a low amount of saliva.
- Have poor dental hygiene: Regularly brushing, flossing and getting dental cleanings reduces bacteria.
- Have a weakened immune system: Diseases or medications can lower your immune response, making it harder to fight off germs.
Dont Miss: Yeast Infection Came Back After A Week
Recommended Reading: Best Otc Treatment For Sinus Infection
Stages Of A Tooth Abscess
1. It starts off as an abscess in the bone of the tooth.
2. Then a small pimple forms on the gums, which we call a parulis or a gum boil.
3. If the pimple on the gums is left untreated, your face may start swelling.
Symptoms of a tooth abscess
The symptoms of a tooth abscess are easy to recognize because it will show up as a pimple on your gums or your face will swell up. Whether or not you can use a home remedy for the tooth infection will depend on which stage it is at.
How To Prevent Dental Abscesses
Preventing dental abscesses involves good dental care and oral hygiene. To prevent tooth and periodontal abscesses:
- Brush your teeth at least twice every day with a remineralizing toothpaste like RiseWell to support remineralization and prevent cavities.
- Use an electric toothbrush if you can. Sonic toothbrushes are best for gum disease.
- Floss every day. Flossing with a piece of knotted floss can dislodge food from between teeth that could otherwise lead to concentrated areas of bacteria.
- Dont skip dental checkups. These 6-month teeth cleanings are important for removing plaque and tartar buildup as well as spotting tooth decay or signs of gum disease before they lead to an abscess. If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease, be sure to keep up with your quarterly scaling & root planing appointments.
Also Check: Complications Of Surgery In Hiv Infected Patients
Abscessed Tooth How To Care For A Tooth Abscess
- Review: 2.72
- Summary: Oregano oil is an essential oil that can be purchased in a health food store or drugstore. Oregano oil is an antibacterial and antioxidant. It may help reduce
- Matching search results: The best way to prevent an abscessed tooth is to ensure regular examinations by a dentist to monitor and address any cavities present in the mouth. Some dentists recommend that radiographs should be taken at least twice a year to monitor the health
How To Treat A Toothache At Home
- Review: 4.79
- Summary: 2. Saltwater mouthwash. Rinsing the mouth with warm salt water helps to loosen debris lodged in cavities or between teeth. It may also reduce swelling
- Matching search results: A dental abscess can be really painful. The goal is to treat them as soon as possible. And while your dentist might not be available right away, he is the only one that can fix it. But in the meantime, you need to relief the pain and there are good,
Read Also: Can A Cracked Tooth Cause Infection
Antibiotics: Less Natural Treatment
Antibiotics are another option to treat the abscessed tooth at home.
Ibuprofen alleviates the pain and also helps to get rid of the swelling. Paracetamol is also an effective pain reliever, but amoxicillin is a highly-effective antibiotic usually recommended by doctors.
Note: Steer clear of hot water, other hot fluids, or ice packs as they will increase the intensity of the pain.
Saving Your Natural Tooth American Association Of Endodontists
- Review: 3.1
- Summary: Nothing looks, feels or functions like your natural teeth. When given a choice between tooth extraction and root canal treatment, always opt for a root
- Matching search results: Modern endodontics offers advancements in technologies, procedures and materials, giving you many treatment options to save your natural teeth. Its important to understand your choices and how theyll impact both your tooth and your future dental
You May Like: Can You Get A Yeast Infection After A Uti
Facial Swelling From A Tooth Infection
Swelling of the face may occur a few days after an untreated gum boil appears or it may take longer. It all depends on how well your body can naturally fight the infection and if you are using any home remedies to slow down the infection.
Treatment of facial swelling will require a visit to the dentist, which includes draining the abscess under local anesthesia and also taking prescribed antibiotics. There is no way to avoid antibiotics when your face swells up because home remedies are not potent enough to clear a tooth infection of that size.
Draining a tooth abscess of this size is usually a very painful procedure even with local anesthesia so our dentists in long island city do not recommend letting it get to this stage. Please see a dentist as soon as the gum boil stage of the abscess is reached!
Reach Out To Our Chicago Dentists
While homemade remedies can provide you with some relief, you shouldnt put off seeing a dentist about your toothache. Tooth pain can be a sign of many serious issues, including a tooth infection or abscessed tooth. Its best to see a professional to ensure your teeth and health are both protected.
At Art of Modern Dentistry, we always put our patients first. Were the most trusted choice for fillings, crowns, and root canals in Chicago.
Don’t Miss: Can A Bladder Infection Cause Incontinence
How To Stop Tooth Pain Fast
First and foremost, you want to manage the swelling in your mouth. Even if you cant see it, the inflammation of your gums or tooth nerve is whats probably causing the pain. Right now, your best friends are a cold compress and Motrin The anti-inflammatory of ibuprofen will usually manage tooth discomfort better than other types of over-the-counter pain relievers.
Take a look inside your mouth to make sure there are no foreign materials stuck between your teeth and gums. If you need to, knot a piece of floss and gently drag it through that space to pull anything out.
Avoid biting down on your tooth until you can get to the dentists office. In the meantime, try to eat softer foods and only chew on the other side of your mouth.
Home Remedies For Toothaches That Actually Work
If youve ever dealt with a toothache, you have one concern getting relief. Whether the pain is sharp and intermittent, or dull and constant, a toothache can be more than an unforgiving annoyance it can ruin your entire day or keep you from sleeping at night.
Because you want the pain to go away as quickly as possible, you may wonder if there are any at-home solutions you can try. Of course, you want to safeguard your oral health, so anytime you are experiencing an issue with your teeth or gums, visiting the dentist is a must! But to alleviate the pain until you can see yourdentist in St. Petersburg, FL, give some of these methods a try foraddressing your toothache at home.
Read Also: Z Pack Instructions For Sinus Infection
Home Remedies To Stop A Toothache Fast
Wondering how to stop tooth pain fast? If you have a toothache, home remedies will help pain relief until you can see a dentist. While some home remedies for toothache symptoms are safe and effective, others can do more harm than good.
Knowing how to calm an irritated tooth nerve can mean the difference in having to take off from work or cut your vacation short. Depending on what your toothache symptoms are, some home remedies will work better than others. Even if you find one that works, its essential that you still see a dentist. Why? Because toothaches dont resolve themselveseven with great home carean active infection, cavity, or abscessed nerve requires professional treatment.
Why Is My Tooth Throbbing In Pain
There are a lot of different reasons why people get toothaches. On a broad level, most tooth pain ties back to some type of inflammation, such as swollen gums or an irritated tooth nerve. Depending on the exact symptoms youre experiencing, you can better pinpoint and self-diagnose your dental problem.
Any time we experience irritation of the nerve in the root of a tooth, it can trigger discomfort. That pain might be sharp and jolting, or dull and throbbing. Symptoms might come on suddenly then go away for days, while others keep you awake at night. Finding great home remedies for toothache symptoms will get you through the night until you can find your way to the dentists office.
Here are some of the most common reasons why teeth will hurt:
Not all cavities hurt. But if they do, its normal to experience sensitivity to sweet foods or drinks. Try to tell if your pain is coming from a specific area.
Read Also: Online Antibiotic For Tooth Infection
Best Home Remedies For Tooth Infection Best Natural Treatments:
If left untreated, this infection can spread to the bone which supports the tooth and can lead to severe complications that are life-threatening. Even if the abscess ruptures and there is a great pain relief, you will still need a treatment for your teeth.
At times, the pulp in the tooth root dies as a result of infection, thereby decreasing the pain. This, nevertheless, does not mean that this infection has already healed because it will still spread and can destroy the tissues.
In most cases, an abscessed tooth is caused by severe gum disease , or tooth decay. Besides, following a diet high in carbohydrates, sugar, having poor dental hygiene, and eating a lot of sticky foods can also make you have higher risk of developing this disease.
A sharp and throbbing toothache is a common symptom of a tooth infection. Other symptoms and signs include general discomfort, swollen lymph nodes under your jaw, difficulty swallowing food, difficulty opening your mouth, fever, red and sore gums, bad breath, change in taste senses, increased sensitivity to cold or hot foods and drinks, pain when chewing food, and swelling in your cheek.
If you notice signs and symptoms of a tooth infection, consult a dental expert as soon as possible as it will never get better if you do not try to treat it. As an adjunct remedy, you can also try some natural home remedies that can aid in fighting the infection and reducing the signs and symptoms it causes.
Best Ways To Cure Tooth Infection Without Root Canal
When it comes to reducing tooth infection, you need to remember that even dentists have to work on destroying the bacteria in the affected area. After that, they will be able to perform the root canal treatment. It is the bacteria that causes infection and spreads to the gums, thereby causing severe pain in the affected area.
If you are able to destroy the bacteria through other means, there is no need to go for a root canal treatment. In this way, you will be able to save lots of money spent on expensive treatment. Not only that, you will be spared from the painful process of root canal treatment.
Recommended Reading: Can Men Get Yeast Infections From Women
Cold Compress With Ice
When you have an infection such as an abscess, swelling occurs in the area. Applying ice to the area constricts the blood vessels, which reduces pain and swelling. This will not heal the abscess, but it will reduce the symptoms. For this method, apply an ice pack or similar to the area on and off for fifteen minutes multiple times a day.
Interested In Learning More
If you think you have a gum infection or are experiencing symptoms that include bleeding, swollen gums, or fever, we encourage you to contact our office to be seen. Our staff will ensure you are seen promptly, help treat the infection and get you feeling better quickly. Infections can become serious and cause other health complications if they are not treated. At North Houston Periodontics & Dental Implants we treat our patients like family and always provide the very best service. Our doctors have years of experience in treating gum infections and love to help patients restore their smiles.
Contact North Houston Periodontics & Dental Implants today to schedule your appointment, and take that first step towards feeling better!
You May Like: Common Treatment For Sinus Infection