When Is A Longer
When treating complicated vaginal yeast infections, an initial treatment is typically followed by maintenance treatment. In the initial phase of treatment,
- creams or suppositories are used for 1 to 2 weeks, or
- instead, one oral tablet is taken every three days for about a week.
This is usually followed by maintenance treatment, where you take one antifungal tablet per week over a period of six months. If you cant take tablets for instance, due to a pregnancy or interactions with other drugs you can use only creams or suppositories for the whole treatment period.
Recommended Reading: Why Do I Smell Infection In My Nose
Diflucan And Other Prescription Medicines For Yeast Infections
The most commonly prescribed oral yeast infection medicine is Diflucan. Its also available as , a more affordable generic version.
Fluconazole comes as a single pill that costs as low as $7 out of pocket with a GoodRx coupon. However, many insurance plans also cover the medication. Its thought to be similarly effective to the OTC creams mentioned above. But, because the creams can get messy, some people prefer an antifungal pill.
Dont Miss: Metronidazole For Tooth Infection Dosage
Other Uses For This Medicine
Fluconazole is also sometimes used to treat serious fungal infections that begin in the lungs and can spread through the body and fungal infections of the eye, skin and nails. Fluconazole is also sometimes used to prevent fungal infections in people who are likely to become infected because they have human immunodeficiency virus or cancer or have had a transplant operation . Talk to your doctor about the possible risks of using this medication for your condition.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
You May Like: Will A Urinary Tract Infection Go Away By Itself
Yeast Infection Medication Tips
People should be aware of the following advice when taking medication for yeast infections:
- It is important to take the entire dosage of medication. For example, if a person is using a 7-day suppository to clear an infection, they should insert the suppository daily, even if their symptoms begin to clear before the 7-day period ends.
- The oils in certain suppositories and creams can interfere with barrier birth control methods such as condoms. The oils can weaken the materials in condoms, making them less effective. When using these yeast infection treatments, a person should use a different form of birth control or abstain from sex during the duration of the treatment if they would typically use a condom.
- People who are pregnant will need to consult a doctor. Pregnant people should always consult a doctor before using any prescription or nonprescription medication to treat an infection.
Below are answers to some common questions about treating yeast infections.
Other Things It Could Be
If youve been having symptoms of a yeast infection for weeks and treatments dont seem to be offering any relief, you might be dealing with something else.
Yeast infection symptoms can resemble those of other vaginal health issues, so its important to make sure you know what youre treating before you choose a medication.
If you use antifungal treatments when you dont have a fungal infection, your symptoms probably wont improve.
Also Check: What Doctor To See For Penile Yeast Infection
Enhancing Healthcare Team Outcomes
Healthcare professionals who prescribe fluconazole should be aware of its indications and contraindications. While fluconazole is generally well tolerated, its use requires caution in patients with prolonged QT syndrome. An EKG is a strong recommendation before initiating drug therapy in these patients. Additionally, liver and renal function monitoring are essential to adjust dosages. An interprofessional healthcare team, including clinicians , infectious disease specialists, nurses, and pharmacists, operating as a cohesive unit and using open communication can optimize patient outcomes with fluconazole therapy and minimize adverse events and interactions. Given the potential adverse events and drug-drug interactions of fluconazole, it is incumbent on all interprofessional team members to monitor the patient and document any changes in status, including signs of therapy failure, and report these to other team members as appropriate.
How Does This Medication Work What Will It Do For Me
Fluconazole 150 mg capsules are an antifungal medication used to treat vaginal yeast infections caused by the yeast known as Candida. It works by stopping the growth of Candida. It usually starts to work within one day, but it may take 3 days for your symptoms to improve and up to 7 days for your symptoms to disappear.
This medication may be available under multiple brand names and/or in several different forms. Any specific brand name of this medication may not be available in all of the forms or approved for all of the conditions discussed here. As well, some forms of this medication may not be used for all of the conditions discussed here.
Your doctor may have suggested this medication for conditions other than those listed in these drug information articles. If you have not discussed this with your doctor or are not sure why you are taking this medication, speak to your doctor. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
Do not give this medication to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as you do. It can be harmful for people to take this medication if their doctor has not prescribed it.
Don’t Miss: Best Way To Get Rid Of Tooth Infection
What Will Happen If I Take Diflucan And I Do Not Have A Yeast Infection
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
HealthTap doctors are based in the U.S., board certified, and available by text or video.
What May Interact With This Medication
Do not take this medication with any of the following:
This medication may also interact with the following:
This list may not describe all possible interactions. Give your health care provider a list of all the medicines, herbs, non-prescription drugs, or dietary supplements you use. Also tell them if you smoke, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. Some items may interact with your medicine.
Don’t Miss: Over The Counter Medicine For Inner Ear Infection
What To Expect From Prescription Treatment
If you have severe symptoms or OTC medication doesnt clear up your infection, you may need a prescription medication. Your healthcare provider may also recommend taking antifungal medications regularly if you get frequent yeast infections.
Prescription yeast infection medications, such as fluconazole , are taken by mouth. Youll usually only need one dose, but you may be prescribed two doses for very severe symptoms.
Other prescription yeast infection treatments include vaginal antifungal medications you can use for up to two weeks.
Your doctor may also recommend boric acid, another vaginal treatment, that can help treat yeast infections that dont respond to antifungal medications.
If you get a yeast infection while pregnant, OTC topical treatments can provide relief. Your healthcare provider wont prescribe fluconazole, as it can increase the risk of birth defects.
Still, its important to follow up with your healthcare provider if youre pregnant and have a yeast infection thats not getting better.
How Do You Prevent A Penile Yeast Infection
You can help prevent a penile yeast infection by avoiding sexual contact with a partner who has a yeast infection. You should also avoid having sex with anyone while you have an active yeast infection. You could give the infection back to your partner, and the two of you could trade an infection back and forth.
To avoid getting a yeast infection or passing one along, do the following:
- Wear a condom to help reduce your chances of developing a yeast infection.
- Practice sexual monogamy to reduce your risk for a yeast infection.
- If you are uncircumcised, clean under the foreskin with soap and water, and return your foreskin to its usual position after you have sexual intercourse.
Also Check: Augmentin Antibiotic For Tooth Infection
Important Information About All Medicines
Never take more than the prescribed dose. If you suspect that you or someone else might have taken an overdose of this medicine go to the accident and emergency department of your local hospital. Take the container with you, even if it is empty.
If you are having an operation or dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment which medicines you are taking.
This medicine is for you. Never give it to other people even if their condition appears to be the same as yours.
Do not keep out-of-date or unwanted medicines. Take them to your local pharmacy which will dispose of them for you.
If you have any questions about this medicine ask your pharmacist.
Read Also: Do Ear Infections Always Hurt
When Should I See A Doctor
If youve never had a yeast infection, you should see a doctor for a proper diagnosis before you try any OTC treatments.
You should also talk with a doctor if you dont notice any improvement in your symptoms within 7 to 14 days. In this case, you may need a prescription-strength treatment, or you could have a different infection.
Also Check: How Many Mg Of Fluconazole For Yeast Infection
Can Fluconazole Cause Problems
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. The table below contains some of the most common ones associated with fluconazole. You will find a full list in the manufacturers information leaflet supplied with your medicine. The unwanted effects often improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following continue or become troublesome.
|Common fluconazole side-effects|
|Let your doctor know about this|
|Changes to some blood test results||Your doctor will check for these if needed|
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to fluconazole, discuss them with your doctor or pharmacist for further advice.
Dosage For Capsules Or Liquid
These are the usual doses for adults:
- oral thrush 50mg a day, taken for 7 to 14 days
- vaginal thrush or balanitis 150mg, taken as a single dose
- vaginal thrush that keeps coming back 150mg, taken once every 72 hours for the first 3 doses, then take 150mg once a week for 6 months
- candida infections 200mg to 800mg a day for several weeks
- cryptococcal meningitis 200mg to 800mg a day for several weeks
- to stop cryptococcal meningitis coming back 200mg a day, taken long term
- to prevent fungal infections if you have a weakened immune system 50mg to 400mg a day, until your white blood cell count improves
For children, your doctor will work out the right dose depending on the infection and your child’s age and weight.
If you take your fluconazole once every 72 hours, or once a week, it may help to use a calendar and mark the days when you need to take it.
Recommended Reading: Natural Feminine Wash For Yeast Infection
Fluconazole May Interact With Other Medications
Fluconazole oral tablet can interact with other medications, vitamins, or herbs you may be taking. An interaction is when a substance changes the way a drug works. This can be harmful or prevent the drug from working well.
To help avoid interactions, your doctor should manage all of your medications carefully. Be sure to tell your doctor about all medications, vitamins, or herbs youre taking. To find out how this drug might interact with something else youre taking, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
Examples of drugs that can cause interactions with fluconazole are listed below.
What Are The Risks Associated With Antifungal Drugs
Antifungal drugs that are applied to the skin or mucous membranes are generally well tolerated. The possible side effects include further irritation of the inflamed areas, burning and itching.
When using mechanical contraceptive devices, its important to read the package insert carefully. Some antifungal drugs are oily. This can make contraceptives like condoms more porous, allowing sperm to pass through them.
If antifungal drugs are taken in the form of tablets that you swallow, they can lead to other side effects such as headaches, dizziness, nausea and diarrhea. There are also a lot of medications that shouldnt be used together with antifungal drugs because they may influence each others effect. These include certain medicines, blood-pressure-lowering drugs and medications for psychological problems. You can find out about these drug-drug interactions in the package insert that comes with the antifungal drug.
Don’t Miss: Oral Medication For Yeast Infection
When Youll Feel Relief
When youre coping with a yeast infection, you likely want relief as soon as possible. Different treatments may have different timelines to take full effect. Antifungal medications are the quickest and most powerful form of intervention. A single dose of Diflucan can clear up some yeast infections, and some patients may feel their symptoms resolve within a day after having taken the pill.Over-the-counter ointments or suppositories do not require a doctors visit and are widely available at pharmacies. However, these creams may take several days before fully healing your infection.
Ensure that you are applying the treatment as directed, even if you start to feel better. If you stop using an antifungal product too soon, your yeast infection may return.If your symptoms do not resolve after a week of using the over-the-counter treatment, consult your doctor.
What Are The Main Differences Between Monistat Vs Diflucan
Monistat is an over-the-counter treatment option for vaginal yeast infections. It fights fungal infections by decreasing the production of ergosterol. This causes damage to the cell wall of the fungus, allowing the escape of nutrients needed for the fungus to thrive.
Monistat comes in a variety of treatment combinations which can include vaginal ovules and/or vaginal creams for both internal and external applications. There are products for one-day, three-day, or seven-day treatment durations. Many of the Monistat formulations have generic options available. Over the counter use of Monistat products is not intended for anyone under the age of 12.
Diflucan is a prescription treatment for yeast infections that works in a similar fashion to Monistat in that it decreases the production of ergosterol. The damage this causes to the cell wall membrane will not allow the fungus to live. Diflucan is available as an oral tablet in 50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg, and 200 mg strengths. It is also available as an oral suspension and injectable solution. Obtaining a prescription for Diflucan requires evaluation by a physician, and in some cases, a specimen may be required. Diflucan can be prescribed in both children and adults.
|Main differences between Monistat vs. Diflucan|
You May Like: Can You Give A Guy A Yeast Infection
Drugs That Should Not Be Used With Fluconazole
There are certain drugs that you should not use with fluconazole. When used with fluconazole, these drugs can cause dangerous effects in your body. Examples of these drugs include:
- Terfenadine. When used with fluconazole at doses of 400 mg or higher, this drug can cause a life-threatening heart rhythm condition called torsades de pointes.
- Pimozide, clarithromycin, erythromycin, ranolazine, lomitapide, donepezil, voriconazole, and quinidine. When used with fluconazole, these drugs can cause a life-threatening heart rhythm condition called torsades de pointes.
What Are Warnings And Precautions For Fluconazole
- This medication contains fluconazole. Do not take Diflucan if you are allergic to fluconazole or any ingredients contained in this drug.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately
- This medication contains fluconazole
- Do not take Diflucan if you are allergic to fluconazole or any ingredients contained in this drug
Effects of Drug Abuse
- Syrup contains glycerol may cause headache, stomach upset, and diarrhea
- When driving vehicles or operating machines, it should be taken into account that dizziness or seizures may occasionally occur
- See “What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Fluconazole ?”
- See “What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Fluconazole ?
Pregnancy and Lactation
Single maternal oral dose of 150 mg for vaginal candidiasis:
All other indications:
- A few published case reports describe a rare pattern of distinct congenital anomalies in infants exposed in-utero to high dose maternal fluconazole during most or all of the first trimester
- Reported anomalies are similar to those seen in animal studies and consist of brachycephaly, abnormal facies, abnormal calvarial development, cleft palate, femoral bowing, thin ribs and long bones, arthrogryposis, and congenital heart disease
- Fluconazole enters breast milk use caution if breastfeeding
Also Check: Uti Symptoms Vs Kidney Infection
How To Take Fluconazole
- Before you start the treatment, read the manufacturer’s printed information leaflet from inside the pack. It will give you more information about fluconazole and will provide you with a full list of the side-effects which you may experience from taking it.
- There are several strengths of fluconazole capsule available – 50 mg, 150 mg, and 200 mg. Your doctor or pharmacist will tell you what dose to take and how often to take it, as this will depend upon the nature of your infection/condition. The dose will be printed on the label of the pack to remind you of what was said. Fluconazole can be taken at any time of day, and can be taken either before or after a meal. Swallow the capsule with a drink of water.
- Infections such as vaginal thrush can be treated with a single 150 mg dose other infections require a course of treatment possibly lasting a number of weeks.
- If you have been prescribed a course of treatment, remember to continue taking the capsules/medicine until the course is finished. Fluconazole is usually prescribed as a once-daily dose. If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If you do not remember until the following day, skip the missed dose. Do not take two doses together to make up for a forgotten dose.