Vitek Ms Technical Data
- 337 nm nitrogen laser, fixed focus
- Maximum pulse rate – 50 Hz
- Near normal incidence of the laser beam to the sample
- Laser power and laser aim under software control
- Linear flight tube of 1.2 m drift length
- Vacuum maintained by two turbomolecular pumps with rotary backing
- Beam blanking to deflect unwanted high intensity signals e.g. matrix ions
- Size – 0.7 m x 1.92 m x 0.85 m, minimum distance to wall at back is 100 mm
- Weight – 330 kg excluding data system
- 200 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1000 VA single phase OR
- 230 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1000 VA single phase
Also available: VITEK® MS Plus for complete coverage providing access to IVD and RUO databases
For Standard Uti Testing Always Keep A Urine Sample Container On Hand Why
If you frequently experience UTIs, and plan to collect your urine sample at home, youre more likely to get an accurate result if you collect your urine sample at the height of your symptoms.
Symptoms tend to flare up when the concentration of bacteria in your bladder increases, so this is the perfect time to get a snapshot of what is happening in your urine.
If you suffer from recurrent UTIs, ask your doctor or your chosen lab for a sterile sample container to take home or order a UTI test kit online. Make sure this is provided inside a sterile package, to prevent contamination before you need to use it.
Next time you get acute symptoms, pee in that container before you start guzzling fluids, trying home remedies, or popping pills. Drinking excessive amounts of fluids before collecting your sample will only dilute your urine, decreasing the likelihood of an accurate test.
Other things to avoid before collecting your sample:
Using Uti Test Strips When You Suspect A Urinary Tract Infection
Fast, Easy, Affordable. At-Home Testing
The pain is all too familiar. Going to the bathroom hurts. Theres an urgency, too. Your bladder feels like it constantly needs to be emptied. While men and women can get a urinary tract infection, women experience them more often. Some women are so susceptible that a doctor may prescribe a prophylactic antibiotic to lower infection risk.
UTIs are awful, and, if left untreated, can cause other issues like kidney damage. When the pain hits, use convenient UTI test strips to rule out an infection. If you test positive, you can get the treatment you need to kill that infection and end your discomfort!
Should You Use At Home Uti Test Strips
Hopefully, after reading the above, you already know how unhelpful an at home UTI test could be. To sum it all up:
- Other studies have bluntly concluded that UTI test strips should be abandoned as a tool for the diagnosis of UTIs in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms.
- Given the low accuracy of UTI test strips, if the results are negative but you have UTI symptoms, it would generally be recommended that you pursue more accurate testing.
Unfortunately, official guidelines allow for the use of test strips in diagnosing UTIs, so their use is extremely widespread, both at home and in clinical settings.
So what are your other options for UTI testing at home?
Interpreting Home Test Results
These tests work similarly to a pregnancy test, using a test strip that a person wets with fresh urine.
After 12 minutes, the test strip will change color, indicating whether a UTI is present. A person must match the color of the test strip pads to the color blocks on the foil pouch in the test kit.
Most strips test for leukocytes and nitrites. Some also check pH levels.
Leukocytes are a type of white blood cell that helps the body fight off infection. Healthy urine contains chemicals called nitrates that can turn into nitrites if an infection is present. Therefore, the presence of leukocytes or nitrites in the urine is often a sign of a UTI.
Lastly, some home strips test pH levels. Healthy urine is slightly acidic, with a pH value in the range of . A pH level of 8.5 or 9 can indicate the presence of an infection and, therefore, a UTI.
If a home test is positive for any of these indicators, an individual likely has a UTI.
Don’t Miss: One Day Otc Yeast Infection Treatment
Accuracy Of Standard Uti Tests
An inaccurate UTI test can result in no treatment, or incorrect treatment, which can lead to prolonged or indefinite symptoms. Nobody wants that.
In fact, 26-44% of females will experience a recurrence of their first UTI. In this 26-44% it is likely the initial treatment failed, and this may be due to the type of test used.
It gets worse. Evidence suggests that with each recurrence of UTI, another recurrence becomes more likely.
The more UTIs you have, the more likely you are to get another.
Consider this before reaching for a home UTI test. It may not help you, and it may actually put you in a worse position.
So why dont the standard UTI test methods provide the answers you need?
First, lets take a quick look at those urine test strips you can use at home .
Diagnostic Tests Confirm Diagnose In The Patients With Symptoms
A diagnostic test diagnoses people who are very likely to have the disease because they have common symptoms.
For example, a diagnostic test is perfect for a woman who has some classic symptoms of a UTI: goes to the bathroom 15 times a day, and has pain with urination. She could use an OTC UTI test strip, but the result will be less accurate.
OTC UTI test strip does not rule in disease. For that, you need a diagnostic test. Diagnostic tests are specific, if they are negative, you can be sure you dont have the disease.
Soif you already have UTI-like symptoms, you want to rule all other reasons before starting a treatment for UTI. For example, if you think you have a UTI when in fact you have a kidney stone, you waste precious time and resources taking antibiotics or herbal remedies that will do nothing to get rid of the stone. Diagnostic tests shine at weeding out all the people who are likely to have a disease but dont.
Also Check: Can An Infection In Your Tooth Spread
Sensitivity And Specificity Of The Selfcheck Urine Infection Test
The SELFCheck Urine Infection Test contains two test strips to be used on two different occasions. Each test strip detects three biomarkers of urine infection nitrites, protein and leucocytes . The SELFCheck Urine Infection Test uses the same type of test strips used in most clinics and hospitals. All medical tests whether used in the hospital laboratory, clinic or at home will give a small proportion of false positive or false negative results and all doctors are aware of this. The performance of the SELFCheck Urine Infection test is equivalent to the tests used by your doctor.
Urine should be checked if the user is experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Frequent need to urinate
Dont Miss: Can Teladoc Diagnose Yeast Infections
What Are Todays Most Popular Home Urinary Tract Infection Tests Models
There are many home urinary tract infection tests items accessible today for men and women seeking quality and reliability. Every home urinary tract infection tests model follows the same essential premise. But they appeal to various users.Its no secret that certain products appeal to specific populations. What if you could see which products were the most popular across all consumers? You can, and weve got the list. Check out our collection of products that appear to appeal to all ages, genders, and locations.
Recommended Reading: Fast Relief For Bladder Infection
You May Like: Get Rid Of Chronic Yeast Infection
Ask A Laboratory Scientist
This form enables patients to ask specific questions about lab tests. Your questions will be answered by a laboratory scientist as part of a voluntary service provided by one of our partners, American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science. Please allow 2-3 business days for an email response from one of the volunteers on the Consumer Information Response Team.
Uti Urine Test Stripsindividually Wrapped Urinary Tract Infection Uti Test Kit For Women
- ACCURATE RESULTS: Quick and Accurate UTI test to determine if you have a urinary tract infection
- QUALITY TEST: Quality, high grade urinary test strips
- UTI TEST FOR EVERYONE: UTI test strips for women, men, kids and pets, including cats and dogs
- EASY TO USE: Easy to read UTI Kit to use at home. Simply dip, wait 60 seconds, and read results.
- TEST PARAMETERS: Tests for Leukocytes and Nitrite
- DETAILED GUIDE: Comes with a Detailed Guide and a UTI Interpretation Chart
Recommended Reading: Staphylococcus Aureus Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
Recommended Reading: Yeast Infection Test Strips Walgreens
Vitek Ms: Id In Minutes
- bioMérieuxs unique proprietary algorithm, the Advanced Spectra Classifier, provides better discrimination, even for closely-related species
- Robust results with a population-built IVD-CE marked and US-FDA cleared bacterial & yeast database that accounts for diversity within the same species
- IVD CE marked database is the worlds first to include mycobacteria, Nocardia and moulds
- Boost productivity, safety and performance with reagents and accessories designed specifically for microbial identification
- ID results are automatically pushed to VITEK® 2 through MYLA® software, which also allows accessibility from most devices
Urine Test Strips Mission 10 Parameter Urinalysis Pack Of 100 Strips
- OTC REAGENT STRIPS] CE & Doctor Approved Dip-sticks 99% High Accuracy Color Pads Cyanide Free, Non-Toxic Paper Rapid, Reliable & Cost Effective Way to Monitor Your Bladder Health by UTI Detection.
- 4-in-1 TEST] 1 or 2 Parameter Test Strips are Incomplete, Accurate UTI Detection Needs all 4 Parameters .
- STAY SAFE] Urinary Tract Health is Important, Early Detection & Treatment is the Key to UTI Pain Relief.
- PEACE OF MIND] End to Unnecessary Doctor Visits, Check if Antibiotics are Working During UTI Treatment.
- INSTANT RESULTS] Simple, User-Friendly Instructions with Color Chart & Visual Results in 60 Seconds
Recommended Reading: Best Pain Medicine For Ear Infection
Confidence With Complete Traceability
VITEK® SOLUTIONS ensure complete traceability to contribute to overall lab efficiency and confidence.
- Pre-applied barcodes on reagents and disposables automatically link ID with AST results of each isolate
- Patient and sample information are linked from sample setup through final reporting
- Results and system information easily accessed remotely
- Parallel sample preparation by multiple microbiologists at different locations or benches
1) Kaleta and Wolk, Clin Lab News May 2012
2) Barenfanger et al. JCM 1999 37 1415
3) Galar et al. EJMID 2012 31 2445
4) Eigner et al. JCM August 2005 43 3829
5) Mitchel et al. JCM 2015 53 2473
6) Ayats J., et. al. ASM 2007
7) Heller-Ono A. bioMerieux® White Paper, 2008
8) Römmler W., et al. ASM 2006 Poster C-123.
The Benefits Of An At
If youve had a UTI in the past, you may want to keep a stock supply of UTI test strips on hand. Our at-home UTI test includes one test strip. Keep a box under the sink of your bathroom and test when symptoms arise.
While you can go to your doctors office or an urgent care to get tested, the price for testing and the visit may be more expensive. However, if you need help now, this may be the best option!
Keeping some strips handy, though, means you can perform a quick check privately and without an appointment. Youll see a result in minutes, and our health professionals can give you advice on what medication you may needand send off the prescription.
Don’t Miss: Order Antibiotics For Sinus Infection
How Do You Prepare For An Imaging Test
How you prepare for an imaging test will depend on the tests purpose and type. Your health care professional will give you instructions. Listen carefully and ask questions if you dont understand. You might be asked to
- drink several glasses of water 2 hours before some ultrasound tests
- take a laxative for a transrectal ultrasound
- take an enema about 4 hours before a transrectal ultrasound
- talk with the technical staff about any implanted devices that may have metal parts, such as heart pacemakers, intrauterine devices , hip replacements, implanted ports for catheters, and metallic items, such as metal plates, pins, screws, surgical staples, bullets, or shrapnel
- take a sedative before an MRI or CT scan if you feel anxious or have difficulty holding still in enclosed spaces
- discuss with your health care professional if there is any chance you may be pregnant and whether the imaging uses x-rays
- fast for 12 hours before the test
Identification Of Fungal Infections
Mycosis, a fungal infection, is a disease that is becoming increasingly common in recent years. This is partly because of the increase in antibiotic treatments as well as in numbers of at-risk patients, such as those in the intensive care and those who are immunosuppressed or immunocompromised .
Yeasts are commensal and are widely found in human cavities, mucosa and digestive tracts. They can become pathogenic and engender opportunistic infections when favorable conditions arise in the host body, such as when the immune system is weakened. Opportunistic fungal infections range from superficial mycosis, which are localized skin and soft tissue infections to invasive mycosis, which can cause disease in almost any organ system. Approximately 8% of nosocomial infections have a fungal origin, generally linked to the Candida genus1.
Although Candida albicans is still the most commonly found pathogenic yeast species, it is now also important to clearly identify other resistant Candida species which cause superficial and/or invasive infections, such as Candida glabrata and Candida krusei.
1Brogden KA, Guthmiller JM, editors.Polymicrobial Diseases. Washington : ASM Press 2002.
Main fungal species involved in human infection
More commonly pathogenic yeast species:
Some of these species are resistant or becoming resistant to commonly used antifungal agents.
Read Also: Foul Smelling Urine Yeast Infection
Exact Mics: Real Precision In Etest Cza 256
Thanks to the determination of exact MIC values, ETEST® CZA 256 strips offer greater precision than conventional two-fold dilutions with interpretive category . In as little as 16 hours incubation, you can determine how susceptible the organism is, not just if it is susceptible. This information helps clinicians make informed patient-care decisions for ceftazidime/avibactam therapy and reduce the risk of development of drug-resistant bacteria. Epidemiological tracking of evolution of infectious organisms is also possible with MIC values, helping detect emergence of resistance over time.
How Long Should I Take Antibiotics
Your doctor will let you know. Typically, for an uncomplicated infection, youll take antibiotics for 2 to 3 days. Some people will need to take these medicines for up to 7 to 10 days.
For a complicated infection, you might need to take antibiotics for 14 days or more.
If you still have symptoms after completing antibiotics, a follow-up urine test can show whether the germs are gone. If you still have an infection, youll need to take antibiotics for a longer period of time.
If you get UTIs often, you may need a prolonged course of antibiotics. And if sex causes your UTIs, youll take a dose of the medicine right before you have sex. You can also take antibiotics whenever you get a new UTI if youâre having symptoms and a positive urine culture.
Recommended Reading: Bladder Infection Antibiotics Not Working
Exact Mic With Etest Ipr
ETEST® IPR strips are easy-to-use but they provide a wealth of information. ETEST® generates Minimum Inhibitory Concentration values from a continuous scale and can give results in between conventional two-fold dilutions, i.e. half dilutions. This means that, unlike diffusion methods, they can provide the exact MIC breakpoint as well as the interpretive category or . Not only do you know if an organism is susceptible, you know with great precision how susceptible information that can help best adapt antibiotic therapy to fight the infection while reducing the risk of development of drug-resistant bacteria. Having precise MIC values also enables epidemiological tracking of evolution of infectious organisms, to detect emergence of resistance over time.
The thin, inert and non-porous plastic ETEST® IPR strips have the Minimum Inhibitory Concentration reading scale in g/mL on one side and a predefined antibiotic gradient on the other. After applying a strip to an inoculated agar surface, the antibiotic gradient transfers into the agar and will form a stable, continuous and exponential gradient of antibiotic concentration. Bacteria grow under the strip, forming an ellipse. With as little as 16 hours incubation, you can read the MIC value on the scale, with complete inhibition seen where the pointed end of the ellipse intersects the strip. Its that simple.
Extended Flexibility Optimized Workflow
VITEK® MS and VITEK® 2 together provide the solution for complete and seamless integration for same-day ID/AST results. But the flexibility doesnt end there. MYLA® connectivity lets you follow sample processing, obtain data in real-time, monitor your lab from a single dashboard and report results rapidly. VITEK® SOLUTIONS can adapt to any size or type of lab, thanks to different size options and the ability to connect multiple VITEK® MS and VITEK® 2 instruments to operate from a single PC. Whatever setup you choose, you gain the benefits of optimized workflow and operational efficiency:
- High throughput
- Barcodes on reagents and disposables automatically link ID with AST results of each isolate
- Less manual data entry with automated transfer of ID results for AST result interpretation
- Quick and easy reviewing and reporting results available anywhere, anytime through MYLA® software, with numerous customizable data management functions including real-time connectivity with your existing LIS
- Create and follow epidemiology results with a customizable and flexible solution anywhere, anytime through MYLA® software
Recommended Reading: Can I Go To Urgent Care For Ear Infection